TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
JamesBot, RobertUrish, Jamesacark, TrevorTeand, Bford96
23185 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 68 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23185 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Topic Options
#230300 - 04/26/06 11:46 PM Question About Red River Motorcycle Trails
nostafa Offline

Hello all,
I will be moving back to the DFW area within the next few months and was wondering about trail riding areas nearby. I'm not much into mx, and so it seems my best choices are the Red River Trails area, and the Big Thicket area.

My main question is regarding the Red River Trails area. What kind of riding does this area provide? From some of the pics on the website it looks like alot of wide open spaces. Is there any woods riding? How difficult are the trails? How do you think a new DR650 with performance and weight mods would do? Are some of the trails too tight for such a pig?

I am a returning rider (rode alot as a kid), and will be picking up a new bike within the next few days. I currently live in Colorado and was going to purchase a DRZ400S to ride the mountain trails and areas. Unfortunately recent employment developments have me moving back to Texas. As a result I will be doing alot more street riding, and therefore I am now looking at a 650. I want the versatility the 650 seems to offer, but since most of my off road riding will be in the Red River area I wanted to see if it would be considered too large to have any fun on. For those who have been to this area, do you see many bigger bikes like this?

Also, how is the Marshall Creek area near Grapevine/Trophy Club? We use to ride there quite a bit as a kid, but I don't remember much of it. Is it mostly mx, or is there trail riding there as well? Any other good trail areas in the vicinity? Thanks much.

#230301 - 04/27/06 04:26 PM Re: Question About Red River Motorcycle Trails [Re: nostafa]
TexXR2YZF Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Jacksboro, TX
Not to put off other riding areas but Red River offers some of the most challenging trails in Texas. You won't find the ultra-tight woods as are seen in Louisiana but you will find lot's of wooded trails with some considerable elevation changes. A DR 650 will eat you alive if you take the wrong trail at Red River. Also, stay out of the big sandy creek or you might wind up seeing only the handlebars sticking out of the mud.

If you ride at Red River within the next month and you find yourself on a trail marked with day-glo yellow ribbon, stop, turn around and ride back where you came from. You do not want to go down that trail.

There are a number of Trials events held at Red River, so that sort of speaks for the terrain. The easier trails will be found due East of the camping area. A DR650 could survive in this area.

From my experience (and I currently ride a 525) something in the 200cc range (KTM, KDX, XR, etc) is ideal at Red River. There are very few places to actually use any more horsepower than these bikes produce. I ride a 525 because of the electric start and the torque that allows me to be lazy.

#230302 - 04/28/06 12:05 PM Re: Question About Red River Motorcycle Trails [Re: TexXR2YZF]
nostafa Offline

Thanks much for the feedback. I should clarify I am not purchasing a bike solely to ride in that area. There is the strong possibility I will want/need a commuter but I also want a relatively strong dirt runner. I can see myself getting into adventure touring, especially living in Texas. I forsee camping trips to the gulf coast, Big Bend and back here to Colorado and such. That, coupled with the possibility of some in town commuting, is why I'm looking at the 650's. I was just curious how one would hold up in the red river area as that will be the closest off road/trail riding to where I will be living.

I've been lurking here and over at advrider.com for some time now researching like crazy. I know the DRZ400s would be a much better dirt runner, but I'm afraid of how it/I would hold up on longer freeway rides. Plus, I'm only 5'8" and had some trouble sitting comfortably on the 400. Although I know there are remedies for this (Corbin and Suzuki gel seats...etc). I've also looked at the KLR 650 and the KTM 640 Adventure. The KLR seemd a bit too street focused (I didn't care for all the plastic), and of course a new KTM is out of my price range and used ones are rare to come by. There is one for sale on advrider.com but it is in Tennesee, and besides I would never buy a bike I have not sat on before. So...that gets me back to the DR650. Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks for the info.

#230303 - 04/28/06 11:06 PM Re: Question About Red River Motorcycle Trails [Re: nostafa]
kozzer1 Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Gun Barrel City, Texas
Rode with a guy quite a few years ago that rode the KLR. It didn't last long at RR. Granted, he rode it like a pure off-road bike...that didn't help much!! Good luck, let us know what you decide on.

#230304 - 05/07/06 03:39 PM Re: Question About Red River Motorcycle Trails [Re: kozzer1]
dirtnasty Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Fort Worth
I have seen what happend when you ride RR with a KLR650. It was not pretty, to heavy, metal tank, DOT tires. I had a DRZ400e the offroad model, it was not street legal but it was awesome offroad. The thing weighs 263 DRY and E-start is nice too! Rocky Ridge is also another place around here ROCKY and small. About 600 acres, not bad bad considering Marshall Creek is getting small by the year.

Motion Pro, No Toil, Kenda, Axo, Elm Street Tattoo, Adovcare

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page