TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#224683 - 09/05/07 01:11 AM Re: Rv vs. Trailer?? [Re: z215]
JoeyDawg Offline
Gang Momma

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
We have a 19ft Attitude Toy Hauler that we tow behind a Ford F-150 with sway bars, we towed it behind a Silverado and did not do well so we traded the Chevy.... We have a family of 4 but often two other family members tag along. We have on one or two occasions camped without motorcycles or extra family.... WOW we didnt know it was possible to camp without dirtbikes, lots of room! We have a queen bed that raises to the ceiling during the day out of the way, table - bed, couch - bed, and room for 2 cots, one behind the table - bed area and one in the kitchen area. Granted no one better need to get up in the night to use the restroom. So in a pinch it sleeps 6. We would like a bigger bathroom but definately better than a porta potty. Great air conditionr, tv / DVD player, oven, microwave, refrig, hot water, little storage. We have once carried 4 dirtbikes AND a 4 wheeler. When we are sleeping we have the motorcycles and bicycles secured with a cable wire that we secure to the truck. ALWAYS secure your bikes and bicycles cuz they do somehow walk away. On board gas so no gas cans..... That's about it....... It works for us!

Edited by joeydawg (09/05/07 01:40 AM)
TORO-P111,M341
TORCS P211 2007 65A CHAMP;
Jacob
TORO-P341
TORCS K259 2007 50A CHAMP

SPONSORS- Duct Tape, Motrin, Master Card, Bank account, Mom & Dad, God, Band-aid, Wal-Mart and ....... HEB! hehehhe

#224684 - 10/01/07 06:50 PM Re: Rv vs. Trailer?? [Re: z215]
dsfnmsw Offline
New Boot

I have a Jayco Baja pop-up. It has AC, Heat, A king size bed, a full size bed, and a small bed for kids. It also has a rack on the front that will hold 2 full size bikes without trouble. I have had 2 full size bikes, a pw80 and a generator on that rack before. Best of all, I can pull it with my 4Runner with no trouble. Other brands that have the similar set-ups are fleetwood evolution and starcraft Rt.

Scott
www.trailtoolz.com

#224685 - 11/11/07 03:20 AM Re: Rv vs. Trailer?? [Re: dsfnmsw]
EnduroRdr Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Tomball TX
I pull a Carson Fun Runner with 1/2 ton truck. (I dont go over 70 very often, fuel economy really drops off bad)
I creatively load it with 5 bikes and a small 4 wheeler and we sleep 6 (well we take up the entire floor with air matrices) Mine is 18 ft but the make a 16 that is even lighter.
Best of all it sells new for under 10K. (add about 800 for rooftop a/c) The problem is there are no dealers in TX. If your lucky you may find a used one like I did.
http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/trailers/rv_sport/pull_front_kitchen/fl_pull_kitchen.html
Pic is also attached:

Pros vs Cons:
Motorhomes require additional ins. to drive them. - Trailers usually are covered with your car/truck policy.
Motorhomes usually have generator - trailers usually not.
Motorhomes, another motor to keep in tune and maintain - trailers pretty much just tires and wash it.

I will do the motorhome thing one day but for now trailers are easier on the budget.

Attachments
484858-fl_funrunner_ext.jpg (77 downloads)

#224686 - 12/15/07 01:00 AM Re: Rv vs. Trailer?? [Re: z215]
rjacobs Offline
TON Member

Loc: Leander, Texas
Camped in a tent last year. Just bought a Starcraft 11RT and have had it out three times. Hauler on front of trailer has enough room for two bikes and a generator. Trailer has air conditioner, queen up front, full in the back with heated mattresses. Wife loves the toilet and shower versus the porta potty and damp rags. Pulling it with an Avalanche Z-71 with no problems. Full mileage dropped from 24 mph without trailer to 19 mph without headwind. There very light and affordable.
Torcs #80
TMTC Past-President
AMSA
TJ's Cycle
812 Suspension Design
Leatt
Bel Ray
Shorai
Moto Master USA

#224687 - 03/18/08 12:36 PM Re: Rv vs. Trailer?? [Re: rjacobs]
JTBCR250 Offline
New Boot

I am also trying to decide between a travel trailer or a toy hauler, the wife really likes the comfort of the travel trailer so my issue is the generator.......What brand/model have you guys found that work and arent they pretty loud??? I also will be pulling with a 1/2 ton.

#224688 - 03/18/08 06:12 PM Re: Rv vs. Trailer?? [Re: JTBCR250]
pmkkdx Offline
Have map. Will travel!

Loc: Central Texas, USA, Earth (mos...
look up a few posts for my comments dealing with the trailers for what they are worth...

not all generators are overly loud but most of the cheaper ones are pretty loud. if you have close neighbors, they will not like you with the loud generator. the first one I had sounded like a harley straight piped (very loud), so anytime we needed to use it, I would park as far away from others as possible. the one I have now isn't as loud but there are still much quieter models available. I have seen some of the little Honda gensets that are really pretty quiet (relatively speaking) that work pretty nicely. for most, a 4000w (that has a surge up to around 5-5.5K) will work for most applications but I wouldn't advise running a microwave while the a/c is on... might trip a breaker. but as price goes up, the quality usually goes up and sound level goes down from what I have seen.

if money wasn't an object, personally I would opt for a 5th wheel (which I would put a gooseneck adapeter on immediately) toy hauler with separate garage but once you get into something that big, I probably would also opt for a 1 ton dually tow vehicle due to the top heavieness and sidewards roll ...
(I only have to amuse myself)

#406728 - 03/31/09 03:27 PM Re: Rv vs. Trailer?? [Re: pmkkdx]
CR3999 Offline
Gang Daddy

Loc: College Station, TX
Some toy haulers have separate quarters, so you can sleep w/out unloading the bikes. I have an on board gen.
just gas it!!! #8 2017,YZ-250; long live the two stroke.
2017 Road-glide.1995 Cub, 15 Grom pit bike
College Station

#411296 - 04/24/09 07:08 PM Re: Rv vs. Trailer?? [Re: CR3999]
AlecsDad Offline
TON Member

Loc: north of San Angelo
We have a 30' R-Wagon toy hauler. Pull it behind our 02 5.4L Excursion or our 95 4wd F150 with a 5.8 with no problems. It has seperate sleep and bike areas. My only gripe is the bathroom s too small for me, but the wife and kid use it just fine.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take away everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

"It is not the will to win, but rather the will to prepare to win..."

#412842 - 05/03/09 05:37 PM Re: Rv vs. Trailer?? [Re: AlecsDad]
kyle_nwtx Offline

Loc: dalhart
On the double towing issue, I've done the research and talked to law enforcment directly and you can double tow in TX. I've done it with a 2 bumper pull trailers and the problem I had was the back trailer trying to "tail wag" over speeds of 60mph. It was fine there though but if I do it I'm about 5 feet over legal length.

#413357 - 05/06/09 03:12 AM Re: Rv vs. Trailer?? [Re: JTBCR250]
EnduroRdr Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Tomball TX
Originally Posted By: JTBCR250
I am also trying to decide between a travel trailer or a toy hauler, the wife really likes the comfort of the travel trailer so my issue is the generator.......What brand/model have you guys found that work and arent they pretty loud??? I also will be pulling with a 1/2 ton.

I have an older Yamaha 2300. Pretty quiet and reliable for over 15 years now, but if I ever buy another one I'm going for the Honda 2000 that looks like a suit case. I almost tripped over one last year in the dark at a camp site it was so quiet! The are around grand - pricey but you pay for quiet. 2000 watts will run all my stuff including a/c and fridge. Don't go too big, you just waste gas, it costs more to buy and break you back loading it - unless you need one for other uses that needs to be that big.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub