TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Topic Options
#218191 - 02/16/06 11:25 AM Tell me about Emma Long Park...
P455 Offline
TON Member

Loc: San Antonio, TX
I want to come up and ride at Emma Long Park one of these days. I've been to the park in my car and seen the parking area and trailheads but know nothing about the trails themselves.

I understand it's technical and tight, that's cool with me. I ride a geared-down KDX200 and love tough trails.

Tell me everything I need to know about riding there. Which direction does the trail go? Where are the entrances? How is the trail marked and how do I get around it? I don't wanna be a total spode and head-on with some trial riders or mountain bikers.

I live in San Antonio and would be riding alone, probably on a weekday as my work schedule allows me some goof-off time during the week.

So what do I need to know to not look like a total goob out there?

Thanks

#218192 - 02/16/06 10:09 PM Re: Tell me about Emma Long Park... [Re: P455]
Dave Offline
AMSA Gang Boss

Loc: Spicewood
The trail is currently running clockwise. It is marked with 4"x4" course arrows and you will see a little course marker that remind you that you are on the "main loop". There are several rock step ups that look pretty tough and they are. Look closely when you approach them for the smoothest line up. I recommend parking the bike and walking those gnarley sections the first time around, just for your own safety. I personally would never ride there alone. One bad crash and you could be there till the next day or so! Also, you have to have a TPWD $8 sticker for your bike to ride there now. Definately worth it. Most of the mountian bikers will pull over to let you by as they can hear you coming long before you see them. A few of those guys can actually ride their bicycles faster on that loop than most can on a motorcycle! Remember to thank them for pulling over when passing with a wave or a thanks out loud.

Great place to train for Cloudcroft, Baja, Colorado, etc. ENJOY!

#218193 - 02/20/06 03:26 PM Re: Tell me about Emma Long Park... [Re: Dave]
P455 Offline
TON Member

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Thanks for the info, Dave.

I'll take it easy if I decide to go out alone. Where can I get the TPWD stickers?

I ride Cloudcroft a couple times a year so I'm looking forward to some challenging trails a little closer to home.

Moderator:  Kingham 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TX Toy Sales - 1600 Globe Ave - Fort Worth, TX 76131 - 817.655.0651

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub