TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#209867 - 01/04/06 07:41 PM New and don't know a whole lot
txgrl77 Offline
Old Boot

Loc: arlington, tx
Hello,

I'm new to the sport. Live in the DFW area - arlington to be more exact. My kids just got a pw50 for christmas. They are 6, 4 and 3 yrs old. The took to it really quickly and we are ready for another bike - we just don't know which one. Maybe a TTR50 for my 6 yr old? He's a little over 4ft and about 70 lbs.

I haven't taken them to any tracks or even any trails, just open areas that i can find. I found village creek mx over near everman and they have a 50 track which sounds interesting, has anyone gone there? Any advice/suggestions would be good and really appreciated.

Sorry I'm not very detailed, I'm at work and trying to not spend too much time today doing this sort of stuff

Thanks,

Steph

#209868 - 01/05/06 12:24 AM Re: New and don't know a whole lot [Re: txgrl77]
51racing Offline
TON Member

Loc: Allen,TX
Welcome to the sport. I have three kids ages 8,6 and 4. They all have started out on the PW50. My 6 and 8 year moved up to CRF50/XR50's (same bike just different years by Honda) afer a few months on the PW50. The TTR50 is relatively new to the market but I have only heard positive things about them. The kids love the e-start on the TTR50. I do not know this for a fact but it seems the TTR50 is a little faster than the CRF50. In my opinion, you can not go wrong with either the TTR50 or CRF50 or an older model XR50.

I have been to Village Creek a couple of times. The peewee track was small but my son had a blast riding. You may also want to check out www.justforkidscyclepark.com. I have not been there but it sounds like it would be fun for the kids in a controlled environment.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email or PM me.

Thanks. Gary

#209869 - 01/09/06 02:23 PM Re: New and don't know a whole lot [Re: txgrl77]
battson34 Offline

I found a website that helps teach you everything you need to know about riding dirtbikes. www.motocrossuniversity.com they also have really trick pit bikes at an unbelievable price.

let me know what you think,

Thanks ,
B

#209870 - 02/14/06 06:40 PM Re: New and don't know a whole lot [Re: txgrl77]
yamaha677 Offline
TON Member

I think a good bike for the boy would be a ktm 50 junior.

#209871 - 07/05/06 08:49 PM Re: New and don't know a whole lot [Re: yamaha677]
yz80rider Offline
TON Member

i am in the arlington area also. i have heard there is a track in kennedale. my son started out on a pw80. seems like he was born for it..got bord with it so we put him on a ktm 65sx. he loves it. he is wanting to race. and i have no idea how to get started. we ride out at 360 and trinity alot. and he rides out there with no problems. rides better than me..lol.. anyone has some info. please let me know. he has all the gear. helmet.boots, chest protector.... thanks

#209872 - 07/06/06 01:09 PM Re: New and don't know a whole lot [Re: yz80rider]
txgrl77 Offline
Old Boot

Loc: arlington, tx
Hey there. We've never gone to the trails over there off 360, we weren't sure if it was mild enough for our little ones. We may check it out now.

We have been going out to Village Creek Mx in Everman because it's close. They have a small track for 50's and 65's. And they run organized practice which allows the smaller bikes to ride the day track in just their sizes. Our 4 yr old loves it and he's only on a PW50. We are looking into getting a ktm as well. He's outriding the PW and really wants to race. Our 6 yr old rides a TTR50 and is ready for something with more kick in it too. Not sure if he's ready to race though.

So we are probably going to go to the Boondoxx this weekend. We went there last weekend to practice. We liked being out there. Plenty of room to ride. It's black dirt and rockier than he liked but he wants to race and everyone has told me it's a good place to start out. It'll be his first race.

Let me know if you go out to the Boondoxx.

Steph

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub