TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#163948 - 04/10/05 10:20 PM HYDRATE hydrate hydrate!
Opcom Offline
TON Member

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Now that the weather's getting warm again, let's remind ourselves to always bring plenty of water. Take some with you on the trail -at least a liter, two if you can.

By the time you think you may have heat exhaustion, you're already in trouble. All the gear doesn't help either but it's necessary.

Having water at the camp doesn't help if you're an hour into the wasteland and already overheated. Some people take salt tablets to reduce dehydration, but that's bad news, they keep you from sweating and you overheat.

Much of the heat radiated from the body comes through the head, and that's the part unfortunately stuck inside yer hot helmet in the 100 degree weather (so you like black helmets??).

If you get dizzy or feel weak, get out of the heat if possible, remove helmet and gloves, and drink lots of water, as much as you can stand, a liter is a good start. You'll recover quick.

Once a victim passes the dizzy/weak stage, the next stage is they stop sweating, pulse rate goes way up, and they may even feel fine!! ("I felt sick, but I'm ok now") It's because the brain is now so addled by overheating, it doesn't tell you you're sick, it's just trying to keep you from losing any more water so you don't die, and that's next...

Forgive the indelicate comment next, but it's what our medics tell us in the Texas Guard: adequate hydration is indicated by clear or light colored urine -if it's dark yellow, you are already dehydrated. If you aren't visiting the outhouse or nearby tree, you aren't drinking enough water. If you're thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Granted this advice is for soldiers in the field, but our situation is similar -high speed activity, hot/heavy gear, hot weather..

Watch your friends- are they sweating, or are they acting exhausted/disoriented for no reason? (ok disorientation is probably normal for some people)

Electrolytes - Gatorade is fine, but it's too strong with sugars and dyes and is no sub for water. For every 3 or 4 liters of water, you can consume 1 liter of clear gatorade for the electrolytes. (I premix) Electrolytes are minerals circulating in the blood. The heart needs them, enough said.

Let's all ride hydrated this summer and save 911 for the broken bones! (stitches you can do yourself -ask me how! )

Our machines feed the furnace. If they take us they will burn us.

#163949 - 08/13/08 10:39 PM Re: HYDRATE hydrate hydrate! [Re: Opcom]
Ryan_V Offline
New Boot

What about pedialyte? Would this be better for a camelbak than gatorade or water?

Thanks for the info btw... very cool.

We've been out in this texas heat on the trails this year, and we usually stop somewhere in the shade(where theres plenty of room for other riders) and take a quick break.

Ryan

#163950 - 08/14/08 11:08 PM Re: HYDRATE hydrate hydrate! [Re: Ryan_V]
Fender_Bender Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Loc: Hamilton, Tx
Ryan
I've kown some to use that pedialyte stuff but it seem they always
think they need a nipple on their camelbak??????

Sheldon
TORCS.....153

#163951 - 10/14/08 07:30 PM Re: HYDRATE hydrate hydrate! [Re: Fender_Bender]
Pitracer Administrator Offline
Stick Figure

Loc: Columbus, Texas
Curtis, Looked like you needed a little pedialyte after this last race. Thought we were going to have to get a backhoe to pick you up after the checkers!
TORCS #51
ICON Bank www.iconbanktx.com
Rekluse
MSR Racing
Vitol Travel

#414505 - 05/13/09 07:35 AM Re: HYDRATE hydrate hydrate! [Re: Opcom]
CR500 Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Hondo, Tx.
Good advice about the urine color. After the TORCS race at Cherokee Park I suffered the worst cramping of my life. In retrospect I should have payed attention to my urine. I always have to go pee before a race(nerves)and ignored the fact that my urine was dark. During the race I waited till half way through before slowing down to drink from my camel back. I was already very thirsty and that was too late. The next race I plan to pre-hydrate so much that I will probably pee myself on the starting line. Thats OK because I'm sure I'll sweat enough to relieve that pressure.
On a side note. My hair isn't too long, but I'm contemplating shaving my head for the race. Does anyone think that will keep me cooler or just make me look funny?
Brad
1991 RMX250 TORCS Double Decade#126
1994 RMX250 TORCS#126

Lucky Devil Racing

#417724 - 06/04/09 05:15 AM Re: HYDRATE hydrate hydrate! [Re: CR500]
Opcom Offline
TON Member

Loc: Dallas, Texas
haha that depends what you look like now! I just keep it short to about 1/2" in the summer. Beyond that it's thin enough I'm not sure there's more to gain. The helmet lining should absorb it and evaporate it if it has any airflow channeled through over the top of the head.

Before we go to the field exercises in the summer, the rule is to overhydrate for 3-4 days. It takes that long to slowly fill up the cells, especially the fat cells - they can hold alot of water so they're not all bad. That's a neat trick - gives more endurance.

I never tried pedialyte. Maybe comparing the minerals contents per unit volume would answer that.

Our machines feed the furnace. If they take us they will burn us.

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub