TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home  
TON Logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#158886 - 03/13/05 04:41 AM Lockers???
tricksjeep Moderator Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: Lubbock
So what will help my bone stock YJ the most? I was looking at the Detroit EZ locker and the Powertrax system. Or is there a different type I don't know about. I will be driving on the road the most so a full locker would be bad right?
Thanks for the help
Patrick

#158887 - 03/13/05 05:05 AM Re: Lockers??? [Re: tricksjeep]
Tracker Moderator Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Brownfield,Tx
Detroit EZ locker or Powertrax is Good = will let one tire or the other turn faster so in a turn in town you will here it click as you turn but off road it will not let just one tire spin all ways on looking at $270

OX locker has a cable to turn off and on, ABR is a Air locker; must have air for it to work, Or there is a electric locker, all of these are nice; can be turned off and on when you want but your looking at $700.00+ just to get them

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/index.asp?cat=DRI

You don't have to be Crazy to be my friend... But it sure helps!

#158888 - 03/13/05 04:04 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: tricksjeep]
Tracker Moderator Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Brownfield,Tx

You don't have to be Crazy to be my friend... But it sure helps!

#158889 - 03/13/05 04:32 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: Tracker]
Hall of Fame

Great!
Thanks for the info.
I'm trying to make a informed decision.
Trying to get some more traction.
Thanks again
Patrick

#158890 - 03/14/05 04:29 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: tricksjeep]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Patrick,
This Christmas I put a LockRight locker in my Red YJ. It is like night and day offroad. The LockRight locker is only about 250.00 depending on where you get it. I had never medded with a rear end (axle) before and was in a rush to get-r-done, so I took it to a friend of mine at Gary's Service Center and he only charged me $75 to do it. He also had to put new fluid in the rear end, and he used some high dollar synthetic Super Purple stuff and it was about $35 extra. But for $365.00 it was the most significant off-roading upgrade I have done to this point.
Just so you will know, it is a little weired in town and on the roads. I drive mine every day, and it is my only vehicle besides my wifes Passat. So afer I had it put in it took a little gettting used to when it would unlock going through turns. But it is no problem after driving it for a while now. If I had unlimited funds I would get a ARB Locker or the Detroit Electric Locker so it could be unlocked untill you need it then hit the switch and BAM its locked. The ARB and Detroit Electric lockers would not have the "on road" issues when turning tight corners in parking lots and corners in town. But for les then half the price it is well worth the money for the benefits you get out of it.
Sean Poindexter

#158891 - 03/14/05 04:36 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: tricksjeep]
SeanP93YJ Offline
Gang Daddy

Loc: West Texas
P.S. SOMEDAY I WILL READ OVER MY DRAFTS AND CHECK THEM FOR MY TYPE-O'S AND FIX THEM BEFORE I HIT THE "DO-IT" BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#158892 - 03/15/05 04:14 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: tricksjeep]
odgreen Offline
Old Boot

Loc: Claremore, Taxahoma
You didn't say what size tires? Assume a dana 35 rear? Keep the tires on the small side when locking a 35 or you'll be needing more than a locker soon.

#158893 - 03/15/05 04:27 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: odgreen]
SeanP93YJ Offline
Gang Daddy

Actually putting in a locker will more than double the strenght of the stock D35 axle! By locking them together it eleminates the trauma induced when one wheel starts to spin then grabs traction and slams to a stop, thus resulting in a stronger axle. Yes you do need to consider tire size but with 31's up to 33's you should be ok, especially if you have not done alot of high performance upgrades to the engine.
Just my .02 cents worth, but I did alot of research before I bought my locker for my D35.

#158894 - 03/15/05 05:00 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: SeanP93YJ]
odgreen Offline
Old Boot

The 35 is very weak in the axles and the ring gear, anytime you upgrade a part in the 35 (or any axle) you just transfer the problem elsewhere. Sounds like occasional off pavement so should be fine, since most 35's are C-clip axles if you break the axle the entire wheel will come out of the tube unless you have disc brakes to hold it in. It's scary how small everything is in a 30/35 when you pop the cover off, i'll probably break my front first trip out

#158895 - 03/15/05 09:18 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: odgreen]
SeanP93YJ Offline
Gang Daddy

I was just saying what I had read and it made since to me that reducing trauma is a benefit. It is still a weak axle, but there alot of people who are running the 35 for along time with no probs at all!

#158896 - 03/15/05 09:18 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: tricksjeep]
95YJman Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: Abilene, TX
I Lincoln locked my D35. I have an 8.8 waiting to be installed, so I figured, "why not try to break this one?" I haven't beat on it really hard, but it survived Post with a LOT of traction from the 33" LTBs. From what I read all over the place, the thing should have broke before I got it on the trailer. I don't think what we do at Post and such qualifies as HARD wheeling. Las Cruces (sp) on the the other hand... I drive it in town, and it is a bit annoying, but not too bad. I lke it locked. I would not have one any other way now.

#158897 - 03/15/05 09:36 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: 95YJman]
odgreen Offline
Old Boot

I keep on telling my dad he's gonna snap that 30 front but he still proves me wrong (Danny, yellow TJ). I've heard of some beating them pretty good and have seen pics of plenty that snapped with alot of damage without doing much to cause it. pirate4x4.com is a great site to learn about setups etc but they will laugh you off the board for running those but the truly hardcore guys there are professional rock crawlers that break dana 60's like toothpicks. Run what you can afford, that's why i'm still building my willys with a dana 30 up front and because i've already designed my links for that axle so i'm stuck at the moment. I'm not gonna try and break it but if it does a 44 or 60 will go there. Hoping to build a very good rig but I'm not a rock crawler since my back could not handle that anymore. I also have a 8.8 for the rear and have already built the 4 link for it, that's a very good axle for the costs and has disc brakes but still has a C-clip axle. Comparing the internals to the dana 35 is no comparision, the 8.8 is huge. Just weld your tubes or you risk spinning them ruining a good axle. Point is it sounds like he will be perfecty fine, getting wild causes most carnage Anyone running a 35 should consider a truss bar if you do alot of wheeling, keeping the tubes from flexing and bending goes a long way I believe. I've destroyed one axle getting stuck in the snow (31" tires), snow is very hard on axles. my .02

#158898 - 03/16/05 06:06 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: SeanP93YJ]
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the info.
I need all the help I can get.
You think the guy that did your locker would do mine?
Thanks
Patrick

#158899 - 03/16/05 10:12 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: tricksjeep]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Patrick, I am sure he would do it for ya. The one he did for me was the first one he had done, but a 25 year Master Tech is the one who put it in and he has been doing rear ends for a long time. If you want to give him a call his name is Gary Taylor @ Garys Service Center in the 2700 block of University and his # to the shop is 785-2953. Just tell him you have been talking with Sean Poindexter and he will make it right for you. Let me know what you do, you will like a locker whichever kind you get. There would be much less getting stuck at Post than before. Atleast for me there was.
Sean Poindexter

#158900 - 03/17/05 03:07 AM Re: Lockers???
Hall of Fame

Thanks
I will give him a call.
Patrick

#158901 - 03/17/05 04:18 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: tricksjeep]
SeanP93YJ Offline
Gang Daddy

So Patrick, what kind did you buy?

#158902 - 03/17/05 05:14 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: SeanP93YJ]
Hall of Fame

I'm looking at the lockright by powertrax that are on ebay. I can get both front and rear for under $500.00 and free shipping!
What do you think?

#158903 - 03/17/05 09:07 PM Re: Lockers??? [Re: tricksjeep]
95YJman Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: Abilene, TX
If you got $500, jump on it! I would get a front locker in a heartbeat if I had the money. If you don't get both, at least get the rear one. It is an awesome feeling to have two tires off the ground and still pulling!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Tracker, tricksjeep 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TX Toy Sales - 1600 Globe Ave - Fort Worth, TX 76131 - 817.655.0651

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub