TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
RLE, Tracks2012, udonozega, ihekucig, 01KXOneTwo5
23165 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23165 Members
50 Forums
38017 Topics
248880 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
2022 KTM 250 XC TPI just 3 hrs
by POZOS
11/04/22 03:29 PM
2021 cobra 50 fwe
by Leecooperupton
11/04/22 05:40 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1291 - 08/21/01 02:05 AM Re: Flying P Cycle Ranch [Re: Bud]
jeffd Offline
TON Member

Loc: Allen, TX
Oh no.... I didn't mean that (trust issue) =8^O

I do remember folks talking about the reduction in size some time ago.

However, when I heard it was closing, I called and Mr. Pope told me it was due mainly to health reasons.

So what is the status today? Still Closed?

Re: BMRA - That is Barnwell, Right?
How is it????

-jeffd

TORO Old N' Slow Class (+40C) #613

Special thanks to my current sponsors:
Ready Racing, SixSixOne, Panolin, Braking, and MGX Graphics

#1292 - 06/04/04 12:26 PM Re: Flying P Cycle Ranch [Re: Bud]
Vintage_Vinnie Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hey Bud,

I can tell you are getting tired of beating the dead horse called Flying P, but you sound like the only guy who can answer the question of what actually happened with the lawsuit and the loss of half the land. This has been the subject of thousands of campfire discussions over the years, and nobody has ever definitively conveyed what actually happened. Not that it really matters, other than it's a piece of local legend and offroading history. My first-ever race was at Flying P, and it's really too bad we all lost that terrific place.

I can't help but think that Weatherford's restaurant and convenience store business communities have probably taken a pretty good loss in weekend revenue since Flying P closed down.

#1293 - 06/07/04 01:45 PM Re: Flying P Cycle Ranch [Re: Vintage_Vinnie]
Bud Administrator Offline

Loc: Garden Valley, TX
It has been so long ago, I'm a little fuzzy on the details. There are some members of the Ft. Worth Trailblazers that attended or testified during the law suit (i.e., Barry Franklin). He could give you first hand information. The guys at Rip-Char may have some accurate information since they are located nearby.

Bill Pope provided a great service to the off-road motorcycling community in Texas. His park was one of the first two parks of its kind to open in the nation. Many people learned to ride or grew up riding at the Flyin' P.

The camp file rendition is probably more colorful that real life. It would be nice if someone would actually take the time to interview Bill if possible.

#582785 - 08/26/15 09:50 AM Re: Flying P Cycle Ranch [Re: Bud]
rarice1980 Offline
New Boot

Loc: Texas
Just trying to find some pictures or videos of the Flying P, and came across this thread. Thought you might like to know what happened from the official document.

Basically a guy crashed during a race, hit a rail road tie, broke his neck, and decided his inability to keep it on two wheels was the Pope's fault.

Mr. Pope thought the people that held the race were providing representation at the hearing... They weren't.

Thus began the beginning of the end to the greatest place to ride in TX.

Mr. Pope passed away Sep. 29, 2014 for anyone that would like to know as well.

I am pasting the court summation below. This isn't the original case, it's a ruling on an appeal, but it outlines what happened.

POPE v. MOORE
No. C-4679.
711 S.W.2d 622 (1986)
William H. (Bill) POPE, Individually and d/b/a Flying-P Ranch and Cycle Park, Petitioner, v. Ronnie Franklin MOORE et ux., Respondents.
Supreme Court of Texas.
Rehearing Denied July 16, 1986.

Harold D. Hammett, Fort Worth, for petitioner.

Thomas V. Murto, III, R. Jack Ayres, Jr., P.C., Dallas, for respondents.

PER CURIAM.

The question is whether the court of appeals applied the proper remittitur standard. The court of appeals remitted $50,000 in damages in a personal injury suit, although the court found the evidence for these damages legally and factually sufficient. Because we believe the court of appeals applied an improper remittitur standard, we modify its judgment.

On February 28, 1982, Ronnie Moore rode in a motorcycle race at the Flying-P Ranch and Cycle Park in Parker County, Texas. While riding, he fell off his motorcycle, collided head first with a railroad tie,
[711 S.W.2d 623]
and broke his neck. Moore and his wife, Sandra, filed suit against Pope, individually and d/b/a Flying-P Ranch and Cycle Park; Dallas Emergency Corps. d/b/a Lifecare Ambulance Service; and Cross-Country of Texas, Inc. The Moores alleged that the defendants were negligent in failing to properly design the racetrack, in failing to advise of known dangers at the racetrack (the railroad tie), and in failing to properly ensure that the racetrack was safe for its intended purposes. Pope was served but did not answer.

The trial court rendered a no-answer default judgment against Pope, and after hearing evidence on damages, awarded the Moores $289,000. The trial court then severed the Moores' claims against the other defendants. In an unpublished opinion, the court of appeals affirmed the judgment, but remitted $17,000 in past medical expenses and $50,000 in future damages, including future medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and loss of consortium.

The Moores contest the court of appeals' standard in remitting $50,000 in future damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and loss of consortium. In remitting these damages, the court of appeals reviewed all the evidence on damages and then stated:
[W]e hold the evidence was legally and factually sufficient to support awards for [future medical expenses], future lost wages, and future pain and suffering suffered by Ronnie and for the $10,000 awarded to Sandra for future loss of consortium. Nevertheless, in light of the entire record, we find and hold that the awards for future damages, which would include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering and loss of consortium were excessive in the amount of $50,000.

The Moores contend that the proper remittitur standard is factual sufficiency, and therefore, the court of appeals could not order a remittitur after finding the evidence for their damages factually sufficient. We agree.

#585610 - 12/30/15 04:42 PM Re: Flying P Cycle Ranch [Re: Bud]
Ryan's Dad Offline
TON Member

Loc: Austin, Texas
That is why we had to close our motocross track.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page