TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
Bford96, PT145SS, LaFitte, LoganR, Laura Olson
23181 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 188 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23181 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Topic Options
#12624 - 05/28/02 02:51 PM Houston MX tracks for the beginner?
nasa_tj Offline
TON Member

It's been 16 years since I've been on an MX bike
flying around a track and loving every minute of it.
So, after 33 years of age I finally decided to bite
the bullet and go and pick up a used bike, and
attempt to get back into the sport.
Well, I've got the bike, and I've got the trailer,
and something to pull it with. Now all I need is a
place to go. Trouble is, after all of this time away,
I don't want to dive back in at the deep end. I'd
rather stick a toe in, and check the temperature
first ;-). Basically, I'm looking for a good beginner
track near the Houston, TX area. Something simple
enough for an old fart like me to get my skills back
on, without doing too much damage to me or the bike!
Anyone have any suggestions? Is there any web-site
that rates Houston area tracks by degree of difficulty?
Perhaps, if everyone gets involved, we can even set
up a scheme to rate the tracks?

feel free to e-mail me directly at tj_mayes@yahoo.com
thanks!

#12625 - 05/28/02 11:33 PM Re: Houston MX tracks for the beginner? [Re: nasa_tj]
BradT124 Offline
TON Member

Loc: Conroe, Texas
I know how you feel. I started riding at about age 32 after not riding a dirt bike for 18 years and never owning one of my own. I think the best places in Houston for beginners is either Rio Bravo, provided its flakey owners still have it open. It is on East Mount Houston Rd. about 4 miles east of Hwy 59 North. Right after you cross the bayou, there is a dirt road on the right that will take you back to the track. The track is usually as hard as a sidewalk, but a good place to go get some riding skills back.

Another one is farther north. It is Gator MX in Willis. It is about 10 miles North of Conroe on Hwy 45. Easiest way is to take 45 N to Willis. Exit Willis, go right to TX Hwy 75, then go left. Go about 2 miles and the entrance to the track is on the left. If you miss the exit off of 45, you will see the track from the freeway. You can always take the next exit and go south on 75. Both of these tracks should be a fun place to ride for a beginner. If you are on the north side of town, I would definately go to Gator instead of Rio. Rio just has a lot of history. Roger Decoster raced there in its glory days.

Best of luck.

Brad
Honda of Houston
Off-Road

#12626 - 05/28/02 11:58 PM Re: Houston MX tracks for the beginner? [Re: nasa_tj]
skthom2320 Offline
New Boot

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
I second the tip for Gator. When I bought my YZ426 last year (first bike since 9 years old, 35 now) that is where I spent all my riding time. The only issue is that it used to get crowded with beginners which was a little unsafe. Recently it has not had near as much activity. It is a nice layout though - "old school" MX. When prepped it is intermediate dirt that dries out to hardpack. It has enough variety for a beginner to get you prepared to move on to the other tracks. Two smaller tabletops, one faster straight, a g-out, etc.

When you get used to the bike a little, head to Splendora (San Jac MX) or Three Palms on a weekday. It's never crowded then and you can get used to the tracks. Don't feel bad to just roll the jumps. I can clear a few of them at each track but was following someone on a 426 a few weeks ago that was rolling all of them - I couldn't keep up! He was waaay faster in the corners. I definitely respect that...

Just be sure to stay in your line! If you need a riding partner who's also "back into it" from a long layoff, I can usually make a weekday afternoon session and would be more than willing to hook up.

Regards,

Steve T
skthom2320@yahoo.com

#12627 - 05/29/02 12:08 AM Re: Houston MX tracks for the beginner? [Re: nasa_tj]
skthom2320 Offline
New Boot

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Almost forgot. I rode Highlands for the first time recently. The day track is also pretty much "old-school" MX. Maybe somewhere between Gator and Three Palms. There is really only one "new-school" jump. The rest are tabletops that are easy to roll.

It's not a bad place to go either.

#12628 - 05/29/02 12:53 PM Re: Houston MX tracks for the beginner? [Re: skthom2320]
LWilson243 Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Cypress, Texas
I did my first MX'ing out at Highlands when I had my old XR250R. It's still very much the same, great place to start if you are in that area.

Lee W.

#12629 - 05/29/02 10:45 PM Re: Houston MX tracks for the beginner? [Re: LWilson243]
nasa_tj Offline
TON Member

Thanks for the great tips guys!

I actually used to ride/race Rio many moons ago as a kid.
It actually makes me grin to think that they haven't
changed it in all these years. It will be really nostalgic
to be out there again I think. I'll also give your other
recommendations a shot.

Thanks again,
TJ

#12630 - 05/30/02 12:57 PM Re: Houston MX tracks for the beginner? [Re: nasa_tj]
199 Offline
Gang Boss

When did you race at Rio ? Also Rio is not the same as it use to be.

Moderator:  Bill, Gumby 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page