TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
Bford96, PT145SS, LaFitte, LoganR, Laura Olson
23181 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 120 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23181 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#111250 - 07/27/04 09:48 AM Re: Trail Closures and more [Re: LauraTheBum]
mykwillis Offline
TON Member

the trails at the front have signs that say no night wheeling. what is the legitemate reason they are closed during the day again?

is dewoody and scorpion pass next?

#111251 - 07/27/04 12:20 PM Re: Trail Closures and more [Re: mykwillis]
ThePagan Offline
Pinball Wizard

Loc: Lost In Texas
In reply to:

the trails at the front have signs that say no night wheeling. what is the legitemate reason they are closed during the day again?

is dewoody and scorpion pass next?

Erosion. Those trails are easlily seen from the road. They are causing a run-off issue that needs to be addressed.

The BOD closed them but my understanding it that they are investigating ways to make repairs and open them up again.

Sorry if you take offense but the BOD in my opinion is doing the responsible thing in working with the neighbors and doing the responsible thing for erosion control.

If you have some insight into how to control this erosion or repair those trails then by all means contact one of the TMTC Board and let them know your ideas.

http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com

Airstrip is one of my favorites.. but it used to be more of a favorite when I could take someone who had never been off-road and have them drive up it - their expressions where priceless.

Just look at the level of dirt that has been taken off that hill and imagine where it has ended up - both issues have to be addressed at some point.

#111252 - 07/27/04 12:30 PM Re: Trail Closures and more [Re: ThePagan]
ThePagan Offline
Pinball Wizard

Loc: Lost In Texas
Just another thought..

But when it comes to trail repair and erosion.. it's not a matter of what will be decided that's pre-ordained. Trails not properly maintained need to be closed or repaired or "closed for repair". The fact is the minor inconvenience in doing that will allow us to have trail a lot farther into the future then it appears we may have now.

With Airstrip being so visible at the front gate it's not leaving a good impression and that needs to be addressed. It's not only the first thing we are Motorized enthusiasts see when we come in the front gate at BMRA - but it's also the first thing our supporters and opponents see.

Just my $0.02 (Not on the TMTC BOD just giving my $0.02 as a land use advocate).

#111253 - 08/09/04 11:00 PM Re: Trail Closures and more [Re: ThePagan]
Bucket65 Offline

Loc: Murphy, Texas
I was out at BMRA this past Saturday, Aug. 7, and the Property Manager told me they do not intend to re-open any of the closed trails. They plan on some maintenance for the erosion, but the trails will not re-open. This definitely hurts the popularity of BMRA. It is (was) lots of fun to crowd around the top of Airstrip and watch as folks go all out trying to get up and over that big ledge without breaking something, or flipping their rig.

That's gone now...

#111254 - 11/09/04 12:31 AM Re: Trail Closures and more [Re: Bucket65]
acprokeith Offline
Old Boot

Loc: under the truck, dallas
In reply to:

I was out at BMRA this past Saturday, Aug. 7, and the Property Manager told me they do not intend to re-open any of the closed trails. They plan on some maintenance for the erosion, but the trails will not re-open. This definitely hurts the popularity of BMRA. It is (was) lots of fun to crowd around the top of Airstrip and watch as folks go all out trying to get up and over that big ledge without breaking something, or flipping their rig.

That's gone now...

whatcha know i heard the same thing.... if they stay closed yall better just close the place to ohv's, since that is the hill that got yall the popularity to get them in the door. i really really wanted to run it 3 weeks ago, and 2 weeks ago, when i was there.. im goin this weekned but probably wont come back until it reopens. everybody with built up ohv's comes to RUN AIRSTRIP. that is THE hill.. the work needs to be done, and fences put up to keep it a day trail only, and to keep people outta the woods at the bottom. not sayin dont do the right thing, but definatly dont keep it closed too much longer,,, unless yall can afford to have less and less ohv's out there... airsrtip is known almost nation wide, and is i think, the claim to fame, so to say..

another wheelers .02

#111255 - 11/09/04 06:34 PM Re: Trail Closures and more [Re: acprokeith]
ImCooter Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Glen Rose, TX
In reply to:

whatcha know i heard the same thing.... if they stay closed yall better just close the place to ohv's, since that is the hill that got yall the popularity to get them in the door. i really really wanted to run it 3 weeks ago, and 2 weeks ago, when i was there.. im goin this weekned but probably wont come back until it reopens. everybody with built up ohv's comes to RUN AIRSTRIP. that is THE hill.. the work needs to be done, and fences put up to keep it a day trail only, and to keep people outta the woods at the bottom. not sayin dont do the right thing, but definatly dont keep it closed too much longer,,, unless yall can afford to have less and less ohv's out there... airsrtip is known almost nation wide, and is i think, the claim to fame, so to say..

another wheelers .02

Airstrip was fun, I agree. I loved running it myself, but the time came when the erosion got the better of it and it had to be closed. Remember the old days when you could drive a stock vehicle straight up it? Did you ever wonder where that soil went that was dug out as more and more vehicles climbed up and exposed the ledges? Well, a lot of it ended up inside the neighbor's house. The vegetation at the bottom withered away and there wasn't anything left to stop or even slow down the runoff of red mud and water after every heavy rain. It started to go into the neighbor's house and the BOD decided that it was time to put an end to that before it got out of hand any more. Maybe, given some time it can re grow some vegetation and it can be opened for limited use, but I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

It's sad when some trails have to be closed but the good thing is that there are plenty more fun areas for the big guys (seriously, we have 1800 acres, I promise there's more than just airstrip). We actually had a lot more rollovers on a lot of the other trails than we ever had at Airstrip. Of course, the parks real claim to fame has always been DeWoody. DeWoody has managed to be quite a mystery to a lot of people. It leaves quite a few people broken or rolled over rigs, while others seem to cruise right up it. I think it takes a good driver and a well designed rig to make it look easy, though.

I suggest you check out the new climbs at the back end of the property behind DeWoody on Scorpion Pass. Right now, they are the most popular climbs for the big guys. They aren't near as long as Airstrip, but they are steep covered in loose dirt (needs wheel speed to get through the dirt climbs) with some rock ledges (need the right line without bouncing). They are a long way from being "easily" conquered.

There's always the big ledge at the end of the Houston Creek Trail and don't forget the Weenie World Extension. During the work weekend, we also managed to re-design and re-open Wile E. Coyote.

You now enter Wile E. Coyote at the rock garden. It snakes its way behind the pond and down the hill. The offcamber feeling due to the severe sidehills is no joke, one wrong move or sudden bounce will topple you over into the trees before you know it. The trail ends with a tight turn to the right and then a severe 4-rated climb up onto the main road in front of the office. (I promise it won't be long before that climb will be a 5 diamond. Although, the tight tree clearance and severe side hills will keep the big, big rigs out for a while.)

If you want more trail suggestions, or just have questions, comments, suggestions, etc... feel free to contact me.

I look forward to hearing from all of our TMTC members.

Stacy
stacyATsouthernhighrollers.com

#111256 - 11/21/04 01:57 AM Re: Trail Closures and more [Re: ImCooter]
mykwillis Offline
TON Member

the reopening of wylie coyote is good news! i applaud you guys for your hard work.

i don't think there are any trails left out there for any "big boys". dewoody is getting smoother and smoother and scorpion pass was a cake walk with 36's not to mention weenie world ext. and the ledge at the end of houston creek trail.

i did happen to notice something last time i was there that i have never seen before....ROCK STACKING!!!

if you have to stack rocks to complete a trail you shouldn't be on that trail in the first place. take the bypass.

eventually the stacking of rocks makes a hard trail an easy trail. then people have to clean the trails out to make them hard again.

just my .02

#111257 - 11/21/04 11:54 AM Re: Trail Closures and more [Re: mykwillis]
Hatch Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: NE Dallas
In reply to:

if you have to stack rocks to complete a trail you shouldn't be on that trail in the first place. take the bypass.
eventually the stacking of rocks makes a hard trail an easy trail. then people have to clean the trails out to make them hard again.

Stacking doesn't ruin a trail for follow on vehicles. Leaving rocks stacked and driving away...now THAT ruins a trail.

If stacking will keep a driver from digging a hole so bad that it ruins a trail, I'm all for stacking. Several BMRA trails have been turned into impossible feats (and erosion nightmares) because someone didn't stack (or take the bypass) when they should have.
SWFWDA President
aph72159@yahoo.com

#111258 - 11/22/04 11:06 AM Re: Trail Closures and more [Re: mykwillis]
ImCooter Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Glen Rose, TX
In reply to:

the reopening of wylie coyote is good news! i applaud you guys for your hard work.

i don't think there are any trails left out there for any "big boys". dewoody is getting smoother and smoother and scorpion pass was a cake walk with 36's not to mention weenie world ext. and the ledge at the end of houston creek trail.

i did happen to notice something last time i was there that i have never seen before....ROCK STACKING!!!

just my .02

This past weekend was a different story for the big boys. I watched the "big boys" group come up DeWoody. No one could make it up the left line even with 49's, alot of people made it up the right side. I don't think anyone made it up Scorpion Pass this past weekend, though. A little bit of wetness changes everything.

Also, I agree with Hatch. If you can't make an obstacle without destroying the trail then stack some rocks and get up it. The problem is them NOT removing the stack afterwards.

Stacy

#111259 - 11/22/04 10:10 PM Re: Trail Closures and more [Re: ImCooter]
mykwillis Offline
TON Member

that red dirt gets slick when it gets wet.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page