TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Home  
TON Logo
Newest Members
JamesBot, RobertUrish, Jamesacark, TrevorTeand, Bford96
23185 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 68 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
23185 Members
50 Forums
38023 Topics
248899 Posts

Max Online: 677 @ 03/29/21 12:24 PM
Search

Bike For Sale
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#109972 - 10/14/04 01:34 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
ChuckWebb Offline
New Boot

Dee, almost all of the racers I remember were clean riders too...with that one notable exception. Most of us would run over to our closest competitors pit after a moto and congratulate each other, and laugh about the mistakes we had made! Good clean fun at its best.

I remember Diane having some grief when she started running with the men, too. Like you said, most didn't take it well.

Glad to hear that you are supporting your son in his motorcycle interests. I have two daughters (both grown and married now) that never really got interested in motorcycles in spite of my best efforts.

I haven't been to a dirt event in years now, but i really need to go check one out someday. I'm just not good at being a spectator at motocross...i want to be out there. I go to a lot of road races these days as a spectator, and lately have been thinking about putting a track bike together for that. Probably not a good idea...road racing gets expensive fast, and old bones heal slow! I'd probably be better off if i would jump back into some kind of dirtbike racing.

Chuck

#109973 - 10/15/04 11:39 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: ChuckWebb]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Garland, TX
Chuck - you know the saying - Once its in your blood!!! hahhaa...I love riding now adays....I am amazed at how many women just look at me - going - WHAT - a female??? Come on girls - get to riding....I may be 40----ohhh something, but hey - the other Divas that I hang with - some are older then me and kick a___.....Just to let you know - the rush is still there just remember that our bones are getting old so down some calcium prior to dragging the bike out!!!! LOL
Ride Red, Excel Rims, FMF Pipes, ProWorks. DeCal Works, Dunlap Tires, MotorEx, Scott USA, Icat , Renthal, TwinAir~Go number #95!!!

#109974 - 12/13/06 11:42 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
runswithbeer Offline

Loc: Tx.
Ran across this today,its great,grew up in Arlington - rode & raced Whitney,M-valley,Paradise Valley,360,lake Arlington M/C park.Oak Hill,Countly Line,Etc.Went to the Trans Ams at Whitney twice Around 1978 ??? have some photos.Had most scoots --all the Jap stuff & then onto C/Z - Husky-Maico.Etc. Where was Rabbit Run-Stemmons ??? My old man use to take us as kids to a big Bowl looking place off 30 & loop 12 (I think) crazy old guys on scoots & even old cars going wfo in & out of there.Still have an old dirt scoot or two & Harley,live in Garland,I would like to ride again drink some brewskies & look at old pics.also any vintage event info. Vance

#109975 - 02/03/07 05:32 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
rpannell Offline

I to rode bultaco,s in the 70's out of bultaco sales of dallas in fact my grandfather owned the shop I just loged on and looking for old riders from back in those days . Robbie Pannell

#109976 - 03/23/07 08:00 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: rpannell]
Ronnie_Barnes Offline

Loc: Oak Cliff
Robbie, we raced a few times in 1974-1975, I rode a 74 CR-125 in the Novice class. Ronnie Barnes

#109977 - 03/23/07 08:20 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Ronnie_Barnes]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Garland, TX
Robbie - This is Dee Harper - My condolences to you and your family on Brian's death. What a shock. I just found his email addy on Terry Poovey's page and wrote him not too long before he passed.

I found Jeff Kring off this site and stay in touch with him regularly. All the old guys (no pun intended) get together at the Vintage Races. The last one was in Sherman. Talk about a blast. You need to write me directly. (dcrump2545@verizon.net). Mike Shelby is the President of the Vintage Group. There were several there that brought up your name.

You know my brother is Lindsay Harper - we all were #60 on those Bultaco's. Jeff has re-furbished a Bul 250 Pursang - its gorgeous...and rides like its brand new. Brings back the good, fun times we all had on those bikes! Keep in touch!!! Dee Harper Crump
Ride Red, Excel Rims, FMF Pipes, ProWorks. DeCal Works, Dunlap Tires, MotorEx, Scott USA, Icat , Renthal, TwinAir~Go number #95!!!

#109978 - 04/23/07 05:11 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
humyam Offline
Old Boot

Loc: Ft. Worth, TX
I'm an old schooler from the Houston area but I live in Ft. Worth now. We (So. Texas) started holding reunions for all old schoolers about three years ago and they are great. Seeing friends from 30-35 years ago for the first time since back then is indescribable. Pickard even showed up last year. I hope something like our reunion happens up here. I had the misfortune of racing at the same time the Doss's, Pickard's, Pressely's, etc were in their prime and it was no fun coming up here and getting my a@@ handed to me. Does anyone have any newspaper or magazine write up's of a race at Mossier in Jan of '75. I beat Pickard that day and would like to read about it. Bobby says he doesn't remember, so I have to prove it to him.

Glen Urquhart

www.oldschoolmxers.com

#109979 - 05/21/07 04:47 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: RonnieBarnes]
leathervisorguy Offline
New Boot

Loc: Ft Worth, Texas
NOPE!

Oak Hill and Big Oak were two different tracks and two different promoters. Big Oak opened first, around late 74', early 75'. lasted maybe 18 months. don't remember the promoter's name. it was kinda too far from DFW. it was up 287 to Alvord, then hang a right (I think?) and several miles out of town.

Dickie Clement opened Oak Hill later in 75'. also up 287, but just beyond Decatur...Dickie's gone (sold it) but the track continues.

#109980 - 01/09/09 11:41 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
szrider Offline

I used to hang out at Dallas Suzuki as well as Carters Yamaha, The Harley shop was across from D.S. and has since moved to Carrollton. Carter had a little bike shop in Lewisville for a short time in the early 90s with Dennis Hawthorn as his mech. Dont know where he is anymore. Bates used to be at Royal and Hines. Dallas Husky was at Forest ln and inwood I think. We used to ride behind Chrysler on beltline in Carrollton and were able to ride all of Lake Lewisville and the spillway at Easthill Park, Anybody remember those days. I do and I miss them. M.Briggs aka SZ rider.

#407554 - 04/04/09 12:40 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
Joe Warner Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
This is too cool! Stumbled across this site being bummed because I can't go to Jefferson this weekend for the vintage MX races. I used to ride a 250 Maico in the intermediates at mx and expert in TCCRA. I helped Kimbrell at his shop doing the suspension work. I have a lot of pics to upload, one that comes immediately to mind of Diane looking awesome posing with her broken leg. Didn't she show up at Whitney with " if you can catch it you can have it" or something like that on the butt of her leathers? I have lots of super 8 to convert to digital. Any ideas on the best way to do that?
I have a film of a race at Dallas international I think, with Joel Robert on the factory Suzuki, Dave Nichol on the BSA and a young Brad Lackey on an black CZ. Also there was a local named Mike Johnson riding a Montesa. What happened to him? He gave Wyman fits for a while. Also got an old film of Gary Baily riding a Greeves at Green Valley. Any one else got old stuff too?
I am rebuilding my old Maico to try to ride again. How much vintage racing is around? What tracks are vintage bike and body friendly?
Great to see some of the old crew are still around.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

TXTEAMM - 830-612-3607 (cell) 210-912-1516 -- txteamm1@gmail.com width=

Texas Offroad Network
* We Support *

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page