TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#109932 - 06/28/04 01:25 AM Any old Dallas Riders??
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Garland, TX
Alive and well in the 70's around Dallas. We had some great tracks - Stemmons, Mossier (still there), Whitney (still there), Plano Rabbit Run, Strawberry Hill, Oak Hill, Forestburg, Rockwall.

Rode from Bultaco Sales of Dallas then Two Wheel Cycle-Hodaka. The Bultaco shop is the same place where Terry and Teddy Poovey rode out of. They are both still in the Dallas area as I ran across Teddy at a Honda shop a few weeks ago. Just recently heard from my neighbor of another fellow bike from the 70's who is racing bicycles now. I freaked out. What a fun period. Dee Harper Crump - #60 p.s. need to post some pictures - I have some great ones as my older brother was in Crash and Burn of the year sometime in the 70's - great pic. will look around for it.
Ride Red, Excel Rims, FMF Pipes, ProWorks. DeCal Works, Dunlap Tires, MotorEx, Scott USA, Icat , Renthal, TwinAir~Go number #95!!!

#109933 - 06/29/04 03:30 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
Vintage_Vinnie Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Dallas, Texas
When I was a kid, I used to make my mom drop me off at Dallas Suzuki (I think that was the name) on Harry Hines Blvd near Royal Lane, when she went shopping. Everybody there were really cool and let me hang out and sit on bikes and drool for an hour or so until she came back and got me. I was there when they rolled out the first RM's onto the floor in 1975. I think I grew my first pubic hairs sitting on an RM100 (with my feet dangling way off the floor- man that thing was tall, at least to me then)!

Later on that shop became a Harley dealership I think, then moved, then disappeared.

Man I loved hanging around that place!

#109934 - 07/03/04 05:27 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Vintage_Vinnie]
sprocket-rocket Offline
Gang Member

Loc: Deer Park
........thats the best reason I've ever heard to grow a pub!

#109935 - 07/09/04 11:54 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: sprocket-rocket]
RonnieBarnes Offline

Loc: Dallas Texas
Yep, dont forget Pecan Valley, Dallas International Motor Speedway, Big Oak, Big Muddy, Paradise Valley. weeee

#109936 - 07/10/04 01:12 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: RonnieBarnes]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Where was Paradise Valley?? I know I raced out there, just don't remember where it is. Oak Hill I remember. Where was Pecan Valley - I probably raced out there also. I have a ton of old flyers, race results....dee
Ride Red, Excel Rims, FMF Pipes, ProWorks. DeCal Works, Dunlap Tires, MotorEx, Scott USA, Icat , Renthal, TwinAir~Go number #95!!!

#109937 - 07/10/04 01:33 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
RonnieBarnes Offline

Paradise Valley, Alvarado. Pecan Valley, Denton. weeee

#109938 - 07/10/04 09:38 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
tman88g Offline
TON Member

Loc: Richardson
Oak Hill MX is still here. This is their site-- http://www.oakhillmx.com

#109939 - 07/10/04 11:45 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: tman88g]
RonnieBarnes Offline

Oakhill was BigOak in the beginning, they were in two different locations, but close. weeee

web page web page

#109940 - 07/12/04 09:13 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
tman88g Offline
TON Member

Loc: Richardson
Aside from the tracks you listed that are still around, how did these other tracks close? Urban sprawl (noise complaints)? Liability issues maybe?

#109941 - 07/12/04 10:11 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: tman88g]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

OK - I know that Rabbit Run was sold and now houses the Bush Freeway and other cement projects.

This is the funniest story that I remember at Strawberry Hill (Pleasant Grove) off LBJ freeway. The people around the motocross track said that the bikes were disturbing the cemetary down the hill from it.

As far as the other ones closing, I can't remember why. Oops - but I forgot about Segoville having a motocross track out there also. Dee

#109942 - 07/12/04 10:40 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
RonnieBarnes Offline

Dee, ever run into Diane Flowers, Barbie Facsko, these days? weee

#109943 - 07/13/04 01:35 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: RonnieBarnes]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Ronnie - Didn't you go to Berkner HS???? I seem to know your name from someone.

Yes, me and Diane (191) were friends. She married and became Diane Yeager. I rode with her and Carol Benson, Andi Comini, Paula Holley (only at R.Run)....The other name doesn't ring a bell. I ran into someone out at Marshall Creek that knew Glen Waters - whose wife was Janette Waters and I had raced against her. She only rode a trial bike - so it was no contest. I also have run into some other people thru work that remember or know Kurt Janish, David McClaskey - plus I was a big fan of Jeff Kring - in fact, had a crush on him.. Since we (bro and I) rode out of Bultaco Sales of Dallas, I knew almost anyone who rode a Bultaco. Including, Terry, Teddy Poovey.

Think back now - I had long hair and use to put it up so the guys wouldn't know it was a female racing with the guys on a Bul 100 or Hodaka 125.....You guys hated to lose to a woman...hahahhaa..Dee

You have to know me and my family.

#109944 - 07/13/04 01:39 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Oh - I forgot that they really said that we were "disturbing the dead" at Strawberry Hill.

Any one race out at Stemmons back then??? Dee

#109945 - 07/13/04 01:54 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
RonnieBarnes Offline

No, I went to Lewisville High school 1972-1975, I run into Jeff Kring every now and then.

#109946 - 07/13/04 03:29 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: RonnieBarnes]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Ronnie - then tell Jeff "howdy" from Dee "Harper" Crump - believe me - it will freak him out..hahahhaa..We have a history together....Dee

#109947 - 07/18/04 07:17 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
Outlaw6Guy Offline
New Boot

Loc: In a van....down by the river!
"Big Muddy"? Man I thought I was the only one still alive that remembered that place. If memory serves me correctly, you had to drive through a junk yard just to get to the track. I remember a manmade jump on that track, over by the corn field, that I took one time, and when I landed the left rear shock on my Suzuki fell off, and I ended up in the corn field. When I came out of the corn, back onto the track, I had corn stalks wrapped around my neck. Can't even remember if I finished or not.
Dee, you had a crush on Jeffy Sue? Wholly Mollie! I'll tell him the next time I see him. Jeff and I have had some very interesting times over the years. I know he's especially fond of those white powered doughnuts, and Jose Curevo. Ouch!

#10X Maico 1973-1975
Jack Jeter

#109948 - 07/19/04 12:43 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Outlaw6Guy]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Maico ? Huh, Jeff??? Wow - I remember those. The last I heard about Jeff Kring was that he was into the lake scene, aka boat. When I was a mere little girl I use to watch Jeff ride and was wow'd by his riding and his style. He was pretty intimadating to a young person as he was racing in the Expert class.

If you see him - give him this email address - dcrump2545@aol.com and tell him to write me. I think just saying "Dee" and Bultaco in the same sentence that he will know me, but my maiden name is Harper and HE will know/remember me then. Dee

#109949 - 07/21/04 11:32 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
Outlaw6Guy Offline
New Boot

Loc: In a van....down by the river!
OK Dee, I sent JeffySue your email address. The ball is in his court. Do you still ride, and if so what? Personally I laid off racing after 1982. That is until December of 03, then I got the bug again, and started racing in the TORO series, then onto the TCCRA. The bikes have sure changed over the years, and so have I, come to think of it. My brain says gas it, and my body says you're going to fall down you old fool. I haven't set the woods on fire, but I sure am having a lot of fun. I talked with Jeff a few weeks ago, and he had just bought him one of them pretty red motorcicles. He was in Bates buying him a new riddin outfit. Said he wanted to look pretty.LOL

#109950 - 07/22/04 01:26 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Outlaw6Guy]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Hey - what did you say to Jeff??? Why the Jeffy Sue?? Use to be Kring Boy....Looking pretty to ride - yep - sounds just like him...hahahhahaa..

Just recently got back into dirt bikes. My son got a CRF70 for xmas and quickly outgrew it. So, when he graduated 5th grade - YEAH, YIPPEE We went and got our "secret" bike...hahahha Only secret because I was unemployed for so long and happen to have great parents that still help me out. Anyway - this little bike is a BLAST - CR85 - small wheel, but I fit it perfectly - my son is a little afraid of the power. Personally, I am thinking of having someone bore it out to the largest size it can go. I have had a blast on this mx bike.

I usually ride 125's - but the mx bikes now are so big that I can barely touch the ground. I use to ride a Bul 100, 125, and then Hodaka 125- #60. The last time I raced I rode my brother's YZ250 out at Ross Downs. That bike was TOO big, but I had a blast. We are now thinking of going to the 4 stroke 125 Yamaha - I know, 4-strokes are so much easier to take care of, but even the guys this past Sat. had to ride the XR85 and they were in awe...

I am in with the Moto Divas on this site. They are trying to get me to race again. Don't have to push too hard, but hey, I am alot older now and the fear is there.

Where did you race at??? Do you have a picture of you on the bike at that time?? I probably know you - if I am not too much older then you. I started riding/racing when I was 12 - ummm, back, well let's say back in the 70's UPPER 70's.....

I can't wait to see if Jeff replies to you and what he says. The last time I saw him was in Lewisville and we took my Mazda RX7 from Ft Worth (some mx/flat track show/race) to Lewisville. I knew he lived in Carrolton - but lost touch since then....Let me know what you told him and if he emails you first before me...hahahhaa...He will be shocked...believe me.....dee

#109951 - 07/27/04 03:10 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Outlaw6Guy]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Jack - I talked to Jeff today...And told him about this network - he was amazed. Anyway - we plan on riding soon together - so thank you for telling him I was asking about him..Ya know - once a friend, always a friend....dee

#109952 - 08/01/04 03:02 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Outlaw6Guy]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

OK - we are heading to Muenster tomorrow(Sun Aug. 1st) Jeff Jeter - and Jeff said he was picking up the Tequila and white donuts.....hahahahhaa... Can anyone tell me how much Muenster charges now?? Its been ages since I have been out there....dee

#109953 - 10/06/04 06:18 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
ChuckWebb Offline
New Boot

Wow, i just stumbled across this site by accident. Sure brings back memories. I used to run the 250 class at Mossier Valley, Paradise Valley, Whitney and the Rabbit Run. I would occasionaly ride at Seagoville when it was still running, and then later ran a few races at Strawberry Hill and Stemmons. Back then there were so many tracks running in the area that you had to make a choice about where you were going to race every weekend!

I remember you from the races at Plano, Dee, but i don't think we ever actually met. I was usually with Dianne Flowers and the Tartar clan. I was living in Euless at the time, and we all went to the same high school. I haven't seen or heard from any of that crew in years though. Thanks for the memories!

Chuck

#109954 - 10/07/04 01:06 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
ChuckWebb Offline
New Boot

Couldn't help but throw this in...I was shocked more than anyone to get a headline in Cycle News!

Attachments
206794-star.jpg (132 downloads)

#109955 - 10/07/04 01:44 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: ChuckWebb]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Chuck- This is sooo much fun!!! Are you still into dirtbikes?? I got back in because of my 12 yr old son. Then ended up with riding the CR85 that he was scared of. And I met up with the Moto Divas on line so now I try to meet with them every month - usually its in Austin or around there.

YOU probably don't know this, but I had a crush on Randall Tarter back then...And his younger brother was really cute. Dont remember meeting you but if you hung out with Diane and the Tarters - I would have to KNOW you. I loved the Flowers family....The dad was awesome!!! But, Diane liked the sand, and I was use to the black dirt (R.Run)....

I have found so many people on this site from years ago. I found Jeff Kring, and Andie Comini. I don't know what happened to Diane Flowers Yeager - but I remember sitting next to her and her dad at a red light going into Reunion Arena one year (wayyy back then) to see a concert. We were yelling at each other thru the car windows. WOW - its so fun to talk to you. What did you ride back then?? And your number??? Dee

#109956 - 10/07/04 01:55 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: ChuckWebb]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Hey Chuck - I must not of been there that day. Most of the riders wouldn't go to R.Run unless it rained out the other tracks. BECAUSE - of the black dirt...Too funny... And another reason why I wasn't there because Teresa Adams won the "Powder Puff" that day....hhahahaha..

I have all the old flyers and results from back then. Your making me work hard to look at them again...hahaa...Thanks for the post...dee p.s Now send a picture of how you looked back then. I can put together the pieces...

#109957 - 10/07/04 01:57 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Chuck - I forgot to add - that it could of been my DAD writing the stories on the riders....He did it alot back then, but if I wasn't there that wkend - who knows. Hey - remember my brother Lindsay - take a look on the site of his "endo" over at Stemmons. Got him into the Crash and Burn of the Year...dee

#109958 - 10/07/04 02:32 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
ChuckWebb Offline
New Boot

Dee, I don't ride dirtbikes anymore. I got on one for a little while a couple of months ago, and it sure stirred some memories! I'm one of those street bike riders now...my daily rider is a Triumph TT600, but I have an old 1983 Goldwing too. I haven't owned a car or truck for over five years now. I ride on two everywhere i go.

I can't remember Randall Tartar's younger brothers name either. I should, I grew up with the Tartar family. We belonged to the same dirt riders club, the Stump Jumpers of Euless. We used to put on cross-country races and hillclimbs in the "good old days" of motorcycling. I spent a lot of very enjoyable times as a youngster camping out with the Tartars. Randy is slightly younger than I am. He has a sister who is my age. In fact, Cindy Tartar was my date for my senior prom. We made the date during a 100 mile cross-country buddy race out by the old "360" area. I don't remember who was putting on the race, but i do remember that during one of my breaks, we decided to go to the prom together.

Randy used to run "RT" on his plate...Cindy didn't race much, but when she did, she ran "CT." In my early days, i ran "DNF" on mine, but i quit that when people refused to score me!

Attachments
206830-plano.jpg (115 downloads)

#109959 - 10/07/04 02:44 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
ChuckWebb Offline
New Boot

I put in in another thread, Dee, but here is a pic of me at Mosier Valley....

Attachments
206834-mossier1.jpg (171 downloads)

Edited by ChuckWebb (10/07/04 02:46 AM)

#109960 - 10/07/04 03:13 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: ChuckWebb]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Hey - great picture....I need to look thru my stuff to see what I can find...Have to tuck the little dude in bed - so until tomorrow...dee

#109961 - 10/07/04 03:41 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
ChuckWebb Offline
New Boot

At least you didn't go this route, Dee. I tried to tell Dianne back then that this would be bad for her image! Picture is from the Trans-AMA, 1973.

Chuck

Attachments
206850-whitney.jpg (171 downloads)

Edited by ChuckWebb (10/07/04 03:44 AM)

#109962 - 10/07/04 07:45 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: ChuckWebb]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

WOW Chuck - I have that pic. in my collection also. But I thought you were going to post the X-rated one of Carole Benson streaking at Mossier Valley and wore 191 as the number and a wig to look like it was Diane. dee

#109963 - 10/08/04 12:07 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
ChuckWebb Offline
New Boot

Ha ha...no, I don't have that picture, Dee. I wasn't there, either, but i do remember hearing about it. I hadn't actually looked at all these old papers and clippings in a long time. I've been having a lot of fun reading the old stories again!

Chuck

#109964 - 10/08/04 12:37 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: ChuckWebb]
ccbugman Offline
Gang Veteran

Loc: Corpus Christi, Tx

The Jeff Kring you all are talking about, isn't he the one that worked at the Husky and KTM shop in Denton? I bought 2 Husky's from him and rode the enduro circuit for about 5 years. I lived in Garland until 1983 and moved to Corpus and quit riding dirt bikes.

Bryan (Bugman) Hefley
'08 YZ450F #248 & '10 YZ250F #248

#109965 - 10/08/04 01:36 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: ChuckWebb]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Chuck - check this picture out....It wasn't Diane at all and I don't remember her reaction. But remember "streaking" was big back then in the 70's!!!

When did you lose touch with the Flowers and the Tarters??? I would love for all of us to get together and do a "remember when"....thing...
You remember Bobby Pickard?? He is still in Ft.Worth someone told me. Your in trouble now because I have ALOT of old 70 stuff and just looking for the good stuff...hahahaa....dee

--------------------

Attachments
207027-Carole Streaking 2.jpg (182 downloads)

#109966 - 10/08/04 01:47 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: ccbugman]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Yes - Its the same Jeff Kring or (Kring Boy - as I knew him as)...He is my buddy. I just went riding with him about a month ago and believe me - HE DOES NOT LOOK HIS AGE...or maybe I should say - He has "aged" very well....Still has alot of style when riding. He was always my "guide" to how to ride...

He did own part of TC Carter's Yamaha back then and then went to sell Huskys over in Denton. Jeff is still a great guy!!! You can find him out at Muenster trying out his new CRF230 and helping the Enduro people get ready for the big race in November. Heck - I might even be out there!! hahaha... dee

#109967 - 10/08/04 02:23 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Hey Chuck - why don't you have this picture??? hahaha. dee

Attachments
207040-Dee Hodaka.jpg (234 downloads)

#109968 - 10/11/04 02:21 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
ChuckWebb Offline
New Boot

Great pictures, Dee. Really nice one of you on the Hodaka. I was already out of the state during that one, judging from the date on the clipping. In the summer of '73 I went out to California for a few months, then moved to New Orleans for almost a year. I came back to Texas sometime in late '74 or early '75. I only ran one race in the DFW area after I came back to Texas...I don't remember the exact date, but it was a race at Stemmons, and i was on a borrowed 250 CZ. I managed a first place in the 250 Intermediate, and that was my last motocross. I lost touch with most of the old group sometime around there. It would be nice to sit down and benchrace with everyone some time, but I haven't been very succesful at finding any of them.

I do remember Bobby Pickard, and Danny Doss...the 125 class started getting fast and very competitive when that group started getting serious! I've got another great picture, but I haven't figured out how to send it to you yet. It was taken by one of the photographers that used to sell pictures at the track, and this one is poster sized. It was taken in the first turn at Whitney. Randol Wofford (another one that I went to school with, but never a great friend of mine) is leading on that 250 Noguchi Yamaha that he rode for a while, and I'm just inside of him trying to show him a wheel.

Chuck

#109969 - 10/11/04 02:33 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: ChuckWebb]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Chuck - You just remind me of other people ALL THE TIME...I have a scrap book that says Randall Wofford was a "fox"...hhahahaa... I tried looking at it for your name, but atlas - I have anywhere from 1 to 6 boys running thru my house on the wkend. Just need to sit down and read the old race results.

I was tight with anyone who rode a Bultaco.....Brian Stacey, Jeff Kring and of course my own brother rode the 250 Int. Lindsay Harper... I have been over to the Tarters house - yrs AGO...when I was young and quiet - but now adays I have come into my own and don't hold much back...Alot of people never believe that I was shy...hahhaha... Do You remember Tom Cone??? I will start posting some of the stuff on here or you can write me directly - at dcrump2545@aol.com - either way - doesn't matter.

Spent the day at the fair - need to get to bed...Afterall I am a young person..hahahha..dee

#109970 - 10/11/04 03:37 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
ChuckWebb Offline
New Boot

The fair sounds like fun...I haven't been there in ages. I'm pretty wore out myself, I spent the weekend at the CMRA roadrace at Cresson. Just over 100 miles from here, and a 100 mile day on a sportbike takes its toll on an old man!

I'm a little bit older than most of the riders you remember...and i quit racing a little sooner than most of them. Don't think you'll find me in any Dallas race results after the early part of 1973. You should be able to find me for several years before that, though. Randol Wofford was a couple of years younger than me...he and I were fierce competitors on the track. We were pretty evenly matched, sometimes he would win and sometimes I would. The thing i remember most about him, though, is that he was the only person i remember racing against that would play dirty. I was used to good clean racing. One time i tried to pass him on the inside on a tight portion of the Paradise Valley track, and was shocked when he pulled a foot off the peg and kicked my front wheel. After that, he and I were bitter enemies on the track. I don't think he believed me when i told him i tried not to run over his legs when he fell right in front of me at Whitney a few weeks later!

Chuck

#109971 - 10/13/04 02:10 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: ChuckWebb]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Chuck - You mean to tell me there was another rider that use to KICK???? I hated racing against Karen Carter (I think - her last name)on a Suzuki - she was a known kicker. Thankfully - I only raced against her a few times and didn't get the foot.

Most of the races I raced in the riders were clean. Although when I raced with the men and would beat em they would go back into the pits looking down at their bike like something was wrong...It was a hoot!!!

So - you do still do some motorcycle functions??? My son is 12 and is going to race for the first time out at the Boondoxxx - on Oct. 24th. Its close to our house and I like it only if they water it down - they are suppose to have an irrigation system going in...I can only hope...tired of wearing the dust on my face...We go to Marshall, Rocky Ridge and will be going back out to Muenster for the Enduro race there in November. I am supporting a buddy Diva out there and some friends are to meet me there.

I hope to start racing again in 2005 - harescrambles or something. I know, I am "up in the ages" but I never have felt my age. In fact, I ride my son's CR85 - which I might get a big wheel for. I love that bike. It hauls - even though I am always looking for 7th, 8th gear..hahaha....Later...dee

#109972 - 10/14/04 05:34 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
ChuckWebb Offline
New Boot

Dee, almost all of the racers I remember were clean riders too...with that one notable exception. Most of us would run over to our closest competitors pit after a moto and congratulate each other, and laugh about the mistakes we had made! Good clean fun at its best.

I remember Diane having some grief when she started running with the men, too. Like you said, most didn't take it well.

Glad to hear that you are supporting your son in his motorcycle interests. I have two daughters (both grown and married now) that never really got interested in motorcycles in spite of my best efforts.

I haven't been to a dirt event in years now, but i really need to go check one out someday. I'm just not good at being a spectator at motocross...i want to be out there. I go to a lot of road races these days as a spectator, and lately have been thinking about putting a track bike together for that. Probably not a good idea...road racing gets expensive fast, and old bones heal slow! I'd probably be better off if i would jump back into some kind of dirtbike racing.

Chuck

#109973 - 10/16/04 03:39 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: ChuckWebb]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Chuck - you know the saying - Once its in your blood!!! hahhaa...I love riding now adays....I am amazed at how many women just look at me - going - WHAT - a female??? Come on girls - get to riding....I may be 40----ohhh something, but hey - the other Divas that I hang with - some are older then me and kick a___.....Just to let you know - the rush is still there just remember that our bones are getting old so down some calcium prior to dragging the bike out!!!! LOL

#109974 - 12/13/06 04:42 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
runswithbeer Offline

Loc: Tx.
Ran across this today,its great,grew up in Arlington - rode & raced Whitney,M-valley,Paradise Valley,360,lake Arlington M/C park.Oak Hill,Countly Line,Etc.Went to the Trans Ams at Whitney twice Around 1978 ??? have some photos.Had most scoots --all the Jap stuff & then onto C/Z - Husky-Maico.Etc. Where was Rabbit Run-Stemmons ??? My old man use to take us as kids to a big Bowl looking place off 30 & loop 12 (I think) crazy old guys on scoots & even old cars going wfo in & out of there.Still have an old dirt scoot or two & Harley,live in Garland,I would like to ride again drink some brewskies & look at old pics.also any vintage event info. Vance

#109975 - 02/03/07 10:32 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
rpannell Offline

I to rode bultaco,s in the 70's out of bultaco sales of dallas in fact my grandfather owned the shop I just loged on and looking for old riders from back in those days . Robbie Pannell

#109976 - 03/24/07 12:00 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: rpannell]
Ronnie_Barnes Offline

Loc: Oak Cliff
Robbie, we raced a few times in 1974-1975, I rode a 74 CR-125 in the Novice class. Ronnie Barnes

#109977 - 03/24/07 12:20 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Ronnie_Barnes]
deemit60 Offline
Gang Veteran

Robbie - This is Dee Harper - My condolences to you and your family on Brian's death. What a shock. I just found his email addy on Terry Poovey's page and wrote him not too long before he passed.

I found Jeff Kring off this site and stay in touch with him regularly. All the old guys (no pun intended) get together at the Vintage Races. The last one was in Sherman. Talk about a blast. You need to write me directly. (dcrump2545@verizon.net). Mike Shelby is the President of the Vintage Group. There were several there that brought up your name.

You know my brother is Lindsay Harper - we all were #60 on those Bultaco's. Jeff has re-furbished a Bul 250 Pursang - its gorgeous...and rides like its brand new. Brings back the good, fun times we all had on those bikes! Keep in touch!!! Dee Harper Crump

#109978 - 04/23/07 09:11 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
humyam Offline
Old Boot

Loc: Ft. Worth, TX
I'm an old schooler from the Houston area but I live in Ft. Worth now. We (So. Texas) started holding reunions for all old schoolers about three years ago and they are great. Seeing friends from 30-35 years ago for the first time since back then is indescribable. Pickard even showed up last year. I hope something like our reunion happens up here. I had the misfortune of racing at the same time the Doss's, Pickard's, Pressely's, etc were in their prime and it was no fun coming up here and getting my a@@ handed to me. Does anyone have any newspaper or magazine write up's of a race at Mossier in Jan of '75. I beat Pickard that day and would like to read about it. Bobby says he doesn't remember, so I have to prove it to him.

Glen Urquhart

www.oldschoolmxers.com

#109979 - 05/21/07 08:47 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: RonnieBarnes]
leathervisorguy Offline
New Boot

Loc: Ft Worth, Texas
NOPE!

Oak Hill and Big Oak were two different tracks and two different promoters. Big Oak opened first, around late 74', early 75'. lasted maybe 18 months. don't remember the promoter's name. it was kinda too far from DFW. it was up 287 to Alvord, then hang a right (I think?) and several miles out of town.

Dickie Clement opened Oak Hill later in 75'. also up 287, but just beyond Decatur...Dickie's gone (sold it) but the track continues.

#109980 - 01/09/09 04:41 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
szrider Offline

I used to hang out at Dallas Suzuki as well as Carters Yamaha, The Harley shop was across from D.S. and has since moved to Carrollton. Carter had a little bike shop in Lewisville for a short time in the early 90s with Dennis Hawthorn as his mech. Dont know where he is anymore. Bates used to be at Royal and Hines. Dallas Husky was at Forest ln and inwood I think. We used to ride behind Chrysler on beltline in Carrollton and were able to ride all of Lake Lewisville and the spillway at Easthill Park, Anybody remember those days. I do and I miss them. M.Briggs aka SZ rider.

#407554 - 04/04/09 04:40 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: deemit60]
Joe Warner Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
This is too cool! Stumbled across this site being bummed because I can't go to Jefferson this weekend for the vintage MX races. I used to ride a 250 Maico in the intermediates at mx and expert in TCCRA. I helped Kimbrell at his shop doing the suspension work. I have a lot of pics to upload, one that comes immediately to mind of Diane looking awesome posing with her broken leg. Didn't she show up at Whitney with " if you can catch it you can have it" or something like that on the butt of her leathers? I have lots of super 8 to convert to digital. Any ideas on the best way to do that?
I have a film of a race at Dallas international I think, with Joel Robert on the factory Suzuki, Dave Nichol on the BSA and a young Brad Lackey on an black CZ. Also there was a local named Mike Johnson riding a Montesa. What happened to him? He gave Wyman fits for a while. Also got an old film of Gary Baily riding a Greeves at Green Valley. Any one else got old stuff too?
I am rebuilding my old Maico to try to ride again. How much vintage racing is around? What tracks are vintage bike and body friendly?
Great to see some of the old crew are still around.

#407593 - 04/04/09 07:05 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Joe Warner]
JoeySkinner Offline
Gang Boss

Loc: Denton TX
Here's a place in Richardson www.actionvideoservice.com to convert your film. I'd love to see it. You can do it yourself with a projector and a camcorder but the quality won't be a good. Here is some converted 8mm video of me and some friends racing in Austin around 1977. Click here

skinnernetphoto
My Videos

#409567 - 04/17/09 12:32 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: JoeySkinner]
ktmyama99 Offline

anybody remember anything about Dallas County Motocross in Mesquite.

#550697 - 02/04/13 10:41 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: Joe Warner]
rockymtnron Offline

I recognize the name Kimbrell. I was about 10 yrs old but my dad knew John(?) Kimbrell. He was a sponsor of the racing team that we belonged to; "Team Gas-It". One of his riders was named Lloyd Denbo who rode a 501 Maico. This guy was crazy on two wheels. Also a few of us went to California in '74 to race in the annual Barstow to Vegas desert race. We moved to Utah in '76 and we came back to visit a couple of years later. Kimbrell was no longer involved with Maico and took up with Suzuki. Haven't seen anyone since.

#565873 - 01/24/14 08:01 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: runswithbeer]
KJ816 Offline

Hey man, I just found this site today. I'm from Euless and raced at Moiser and all the Texas tracks.

#565874 - 01/24/14 08:02 PM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: JoeySkinner]
KJ816 Offline

Hey man, I like your photo site and bought a pic from you.
There are LOTS of good pics on there!
Keith Jernigan

#570853 - 06/25/14 03:39 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: RonnieBarnes]
A KINNEY Offline

THIS IS WAY TO COOL
RONNIE BARNES, ART KINNEY HERE. DON'T FORGET ABOUT SATURDAY PRACTICE AT THE FLOOD GATES BEHIND THE DAM.
RIDERS FROM EVERYWHERE WOULD COME OUT

#570881 - 06/26/14 12:32 AM Re: Any old Dallas Riders?? [Re: A KINNEY]
A KINNEY Offline

ANYBODY REMEMBER THE RACE AT MOSIER VALLEY WHERE IT WAS SO HOT WE WERE IN THE WATER TRUCK TO COOL OFF AND THE TROPHIES HAD A HORSES A** INSTEAD OF A MOTORCYCLE. WRAPPING ICE PACKS AROUND THE SHOCKS(YES PLURAL) TO COOL THE OIL OFF.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub