TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Topic Options
#107537 - 06/11/04 04:20 PM Notes from all over Oklahoma Dirt Track
AMP Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Found these notes from times past.

Even more Oklahoma Dirttrack memories will be made Friday September 17, 2004 at the Oklahoma Sate Fair. http://www.geocities.com/arenaclash

1. Name some of the tracks that had dirttrack motorcycles racing on them in Oklahoma including the Indoor facilities....

2. List some of the fastest riders at these tracks!

3. Tell us about any cool stuff that happend back when ....

Myron Combs wrote:

When I first got involved a lot of tracks were run by local motorcycle clubs: Enid Dragons Geo Pasby's Indian club, Enid Kickers limey bike club, Stillwater Road Knights, Tulsa Ramblers Curly Suttons club, Oil Capital Riders Dutch meyers club, Okla City Club,Ican't remember the name of ,it was a harley club,later BiG Red Motorcycle club, limey bike club, Carl's Sport Shop was involved, Ponca City had a Track and a Club, Ark City had a track and a club, Wichita Jeeps, Salina Coyotes, both had tracks in Ks, We raced in Chandler , Duncan, Woodward, RC Dollars track in Moore, Shawnee had a club and track, and some others I have forgotten. Some of the riders: Bill Dusenberry Sr, Ted Davis, Mike Long, Clifton Gene Reed, Pat Barnhill, Jim Posey, Paul Branson, Russell Sisko Sisk, Gary Nixon, Gene Snow, Kenny Bright, Fred Nix, Jim Evans, Larry Montague, Allan Hulva, David Burleigh, Eddie EVans,Doug Jandebeur, Leroy Winters, Bobby Winters, Dennis Latimer,Fred Jones, Gene Pugh, Fred Campbell, Duane Walker, Bill Johnson, and a host of others that I have forgotten, some are no longer with us. I raced a little back then also. Thanks for your memories, add some if you can.

JT Biker
OKC Fairgrounds: Saw everybody from Sonny Burres to King Kenny. Hugo Shea to Ronnie Jones. Watched Wayne Rainey there as a novice on a Shell Thuett Yamaha. Saw my TX buddies Rusty Patillo and Billy Orr win Novice shorttrack events there on consecutive nites. Anybody remember that dive down the road called Sinbads Hideaway??

Harrah (Johnsons Arena): Saw Randy Cleek, The Cartwright, McDonalds. Scott Adams when his glasses were almost as big as his little head. Watched my buddy Ross Downs regular Mike Yelvington win money in the PRO class on his Trackmaster 350 Honda (known as the wheelbarrow full of alligators) which was a pretty good feat cause those OKIES didn't much like us takin any money back across the river. Left there one nite in a snow storm and they closed 35 so we got creative and took the Turner Falls route and ended up pushin the van the last 200 yds up the hill.

Tulsa Fairgrounds: Saw Rich King rip it up on a Champion 350 Honda. Spent the nite in the horse stalls. They actually had some pretty good showers there. They don't call us Low Buck for nothin.

Yukon: Man you didn't get to run nothin but practice and a heat race if you weren't FAST. Don't they have Garth Brooks name on the water tower? It should say home of Go Fast Shorttrackers.

Chichasaw Indoor: Went up there one time with my buddy wildman Fred Debrick who was ridin a 305/360 Honda Twin known at Stubblefields as 'The Bubble'. At the time it was candy apple red with little devil's on the side of the tank and Fred rode it like he was the devil. He T Boned Danny Cartwright and I'll never forget him standing there dropjawed while Freddy was high centered on his shiny Astro gas tank. He still had it wide open and there was fiberglass comin off his rear wheel. Man we were lucky to get out of there alive. Then Glen's old van broke and we had to pull it back to Irving with a couple of tiedowns.

Goldsby Shorttrack: Hell I actually won 30 bucks there one nite. I don't remember who was fast there but their name was probably CARTWRIGHT.

Creek County Speedway: Scott Adams, Charlie Orr (howd that Texan get in there), Ricky Graham. That place always rocked.

Any time you go to OKIE land you better be ready to get it on. Hook em Horns oops a little late for that.

Willard Kelly Wild Wil From Stephenville Texas
Did Anyone mention the Half Mile near Utica.
Thats the one Texan Promoters Don Kidd and M.I. Watkins had built just across the border. They had several AMA Class C races there. It was in the middle of nowhere. But a Lot of guys got there points because of those races.
Wild Will.

Transplanted Okie
Hey how long did national number 29 stay in Oklahoma between Randy, Rory Simmons and Scotty Adams.

Steve Matz California
Fred missed out winning the #1 plate in the 1968 season by 9 points. He had won 6 Nationals, more than anyone else that year and had won every Mile Track Race that season also.Ascot Park was the deciding Race between NIX and NIXON on who would get the #1 plate to carry for 1969.Wasn't to be though, Mert wins the Last Race of the Year and Nixon finishes 9 points ahead of Nix 622 to 613 and Gary gets to keep the #1 plate... 1969 was the 1st year of the 750cc Overhead Rule and HD didn't have anything ready and had to run the KR's that season. Fred won Nazareth which is 1-1/8 mile by half a Track. He was killed later that year in Bakersfield in an automotive related Accident....Most impressive Racer I've ever seen on a Mile Track.....I would have loved to see what he would have done on an XR

FAST HOG Monroney's Harley Davidson California
Thats pretty cool that Fred beat all those overhead valve 750s with his flat head KR especally on the miles.
Just like todays GNC,the old XR750s are still dominating over the 1000cc metric twins.
Its not how much HP that wins dirt tracks,its what formula of HP that wins races.

Mark 16R
did some racing there in 71 ran at the okla city fairgrounds 1/2 mile the tulsa fairgrounds 1/2 mile the indoor at tulsa and the shorttrack at yukon.Meet some good people there Bruce Townsend who rode for Carls speedshop,Gary Bailey from New Mexico,Jim Posey from Texas,Robert Jandabaur from Oak City and AMA Ref Jack Miller from Oak City who worked at the Kawasaki dealer.

Gary Nixon Bethany Okla #1 1966,1968?
Fred Nix Lawton Okla #3 1969

Mike Kidd President Formula USA National Dirttrack Series
My very first motorcycle race to attend was at Yukon, Oklahoma in 1965. While on vacation at Turner Falls that summer we heard about some races just west of OKC and decided to go up and watch. Caught my attention enough to give-up quarter midgets for motorcycles.

As a matter of fact, my first sponsorship with Bultaco was around 1967 to win races in Texas and try to beat Doy Davis in Oklahoma or where ever he showed-up. Doy Davis was the guy to beat on the Hodakas.

Jimmy Long Tulsa OK
You forgot Muskogee 1/2 mile and the Miami Okla. 7/8 mile and Dutches TT track at 71st and Memorial Dr. And dont forget the short track at Yukon Okla. Oh yeah the scrambles track at Locas Grove, and the short track in Dewey Okla. And if you remember the 1/2 mile at Enid Okla.
Ark city Okla is on the Okla. Kansas line. We had great races there and at Winfield Ks....... As for promotors.... They come and go just a few make it

DeAnza also had Corky Story's Flattrack Kids: Terry Smith, Tracy Harlan, Gary Ketchum, Jeff Shelton on that fast Carabella or what ever it was..., Randy King, Jimmy Long...

Extreme Machines include Tom Steiner on the 350cc Three Cylinder Kawasaki MISI missle, Andy Evans rode the other White Elephant 750CC H2 Kawasaki MISI Jet, Dave Burleigh at John Zink on the 750 Honda Four Cylinder.

Curley Sutton promoted John Zink 1/2 mile oiled Clay oval and held the Five State Championship races there annualy. Curley also promoted Vera and Thunderbird that Dr. Dean owned north of Claremore Oklahoma. Cartwright brothers Timmy and Danny, Mike Bauer, Scotty Adams...

Paul Prestige wrote alot of articles about dirttrack racing for the Tulsa World during that era.

The tracks ran ummm I think it was
1 Vera Shorttrack Thursday night
2 DeAnza on Friday night
3 Thunderbird Saturday night
4 John Zink Sunday
5 Tulsa Speedway Sunday
6 Port City Raceway

Tracks In Oklahoma * Still Open **Runs Motorcycles

Tulsa Xtreme World Short Track and Scrambles
56th St North at Mingo Open Practice Tuesday Nights
Races Saturday Nights see schedule on www.flattrackmac.com
1 Thunderbird Raceway Foyil Oklahoma Curley Sutton Promoter, Dr Dean Owner. The club house is now Fishermans Warf bar and grill. Track is still there lights are still up. Terry Stanart ran his Shell Thuett 750 Yamaha off turn four into the parked pickup truck. Remember you turn by that big blue water tank up on the hill.
2 Johnson's Arena at Harrah Indoor, Building is still there. I can still smell the Smudge Pots Burning!!
3 Shawnee Fairgrounds Indoor TPR Johnny Issacs
4 Purcell Fairgrounds Indoor Loudest Place on Earth!!
5** Port City Raceway 60's John Pickle - 70's Emmett Hahn - 80's & 90's Steve Carbone - Present Promoter Ted Holt
6* Creek County Speedway Emmett Hahn Miller Mid-America Race
7 Black Widow South of OKC Vicki Sowders knows the history of this track.
8** OKC State Fairgrounds Ronnie Jones Arrow Promotions Ronnie won one of the Camel Pro races as well as promoted it. Hugo Shea Promoted back in the early years.
9 OKC Indoor on concrete Where Eddie Daley and Marvin West got into it..
10 Tulsa Civic Center Coke Syrup The dude in the Black Tuexedo Promoted it, Phil McDonald won one class.
11 Tulsa Pavillion Curley Sutton won a coke syrup race there back in the 50's
11 Tulsa Pavillion Coke Syrup Bob Oertle & Red Daley promoted two races there, Pete Frazier rode his three wheeler. Johnny the Wildman Wilson broke his collar bone there.
12* Muskogee 1/2 Mile VDTRA one time Early 30's as well
13** Lake Country Speedway 3/8 Mile Clay Banked Oval Ardmore Blane & Tammy Fore
14** Hardy Murphy Colliseum Indoor Ardmore OK CFP Ed Beckley February
15 Hardy Murphy Colliseum Ardmore OK Bob Oertle Quads $2,500 purse 2002
16** Great Plains Colliseum Lawton OK Motorcycles Quads and Micros Charles Lupi February
17** Creek County Fairgrounds Indoor Sapulpa Ok Bob Oertle/Rick Conwell 70's 80's Bob Oertle 90's - Yahoo Racing Eric Weir and Don Clifton 2000-Present - Johnny Issacs holds Flattrack Schools and Vintage Races in the winter also.
18** Claremore EXPO Claremore Oklahoma Yahoo Racing
19 Livestock Arena Tulsa Expo Square TBA Tentative date Feb 2, 2003 UFORacing
20 Yukon Speedway 1960's Hodaka/Gemini/Yamaha Dealer in Yukon was the promoter
Jack Myers rode his Triumph TT Special 1/2 mile Bultaco Shorttrrack
21 Dewy Oklahoma In the Park Shorttrack Great Shade
22* Siloam Springs Lee McAnally Promoted an AMA Pro-Am
23*? Miami Oklahoma Fairgrounds with the ROCK WALL !!! YIKES!!
24 The Mile at Stroud Oklahoma
25* The Mile at Claremore Oklahoma Green Country Honda/Suzuki AMA Progressive Insurance Promoter Hacker won it!
26** Will Rogers Raceway Claremore Oklahoma
27 Tulsa Shootout Expo Square EXPO Building Indoor 1/4 mile Promoter Emmett Hahn/Lanny Edwards Ran Motorcycles till the one dude got killed
28** Charlie Smith's "Old Pro Racing" Test and Training Track Charles Page Blvd on the Sand Springs Line
29 Dutch Myers (Myers Duran Harley Davidson) Scrambles Track 71st & Memorial where Woodland Hills Mall now is. Oil Capitol Motorcycle Club operated the track. Curley Sutton was the promoter.
30* Muskogee Farigrounds Round Indoor Building Bob Oertle Promoter for two seasons Wayne the "Big Indian" for 2 seasons

Road Racing Tracks
1 War Bonnett Manford Oklahoma Roadracing
2** Hallett Motor Racing Circuit Roadrace Also hosts the Gold Rush an 11 mile on/off road race with 1.5 miles of asphalt track every lap. November 16-17, 2002 http://www.hallettracing.com/mcycle_schedule.html

#107538 - 11/07/05 11:38 PM Re: Notes from all over Oklahoma Dirt Track [Re: AMP]
AMP Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Interesting we are racing again at Harrah, Oklahoma at the OK Corral. Mentioned a few times in the comments from all over.

Anyone have anymore memories they would like to share ?

#107539 - 02/09/09 11:26 AM Re: Notes from all over Oklahoma Dirt Track [Re: AMP]
AMP Offline
Veteran Lunatic

Any old or new memories of these?

Moderator:  FlattrackMac 

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

Skip's Cycles - 850 US Highway 281, Building #860 - Wichita Falls,TX 76310 - 940.723.7547

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
CycleGear.com Gaurantees
Shop Cycle Gear for Motorcycle Parts and Apparel
MotoSport, Inc.
Locations of visitors to this page
American Trails
Outdoor Hub