TON Forums | Classifieds | Gallery | Links | Weather | Home   || OEM parts & online schematics || Cycle Gear
TON Logo
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#103583 - 05/16/04 01:14 PM New Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took my boys, ages 8 and 11, to a monster truck show. They were more impressed with the dirt bike guys doing their flying through the air stunts and now want to get into riding. None of us has ever ridden. While I save money for three motorcycles, I bought them a Panterra 49cc mini dirt bike from apep Boys. At $400, the price was right. I know it is a piece of junk(you get what you pay for) that they could never race on, but is a good, cheap way for them to get the feel of an engine under them. Of course they don't like the idea of taking turns and want to ride together.

Being new to the sport, I have lots of questions.
This is the first forum for kids dirt biking that I have come across. Are there any other good ones I should be reading?
We live in El Paso, Tx. Where is the nearest places to ride/race?
The helmet we got them is a full, racing type that covers the chin. They don't like it because of the weight. They are like bobble heads. Are there different weight helmets or do they just have to get used to it.
I am 44, 200 lb, 6'1". Years ago, My brother had a Honda 600 street/trail. He says it is way to big for the dirt. What is the smallest bike someone my size should go for? I am thinking about a 200-300cc.
Is there much difference in price between the major brands for comparable bikes of the same year? Any brand I should stay away from?
What are your opinions of these Panterras and other clone bikes that are all over Ebay?
Thanks,
Rob

#103584 - 05/16/04 03:30 PM Re: New Guy
pumkindrvr Offline

The above post is mine. I just read that many folks won't reply to Anonymous posters so I am now registered.
Rob

#103585 - 05/17/04 12:23 PM Re: New Guy [Re: pumkindrvr]
Fastrac Offline
PokeMom

Loc: Huffman, TX
You may also want to post this in The Pits forum. You'll probably get more of a response & great advice from all of the guys over there.

I can't keep up with my kids anymore
PokeMom

#103586 - 05/17/04 02:30 PM Re: New Guy [Re: Fastrac]
pumkindrvr Offline

OK, I will do that. Thank you.
Rob

#103587 - 06/17/04 04:01 PM Re: New Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rob:

You state in your e-mail that what you bought at Pep Boys was just "junk". I bought one of the 90 cc bikes for my daugher to learn to ride on. It is actually a pretty nice little bike.

I did some research into the "Panterra" bikes. They actually have Honda motors. Let me explain.

Honda sold a bunch of their engine tooling to a company in China a few years back. China has no patent law, so they immediately began building mini bikes and cycles with the tooling. THe result is the bike you and I bought. THey are sold in the US under several different names, including "Panterra", "Panda" and several other names.

The motors and running gear are all Honda. You can get any parts you need at the local HOnda dealer. They do cut some corners on the gas tanks; you don't get a metal tank that the kid can dent up.

Otherwise, I think they are a pretty neat little machine.

You also ask if there is a certain size. The 125cc bike is probably big enough. THey actually sell a pretty slick one at Pep BOys for $999

Mike C
Las Cruces, NM

#103588 - 06/19/04 02:58 AM Re: New Guy
tay247 Offline
Gang Member

Loc: magnolia
The Crf 230 and 150 are pretty nice bikes. My mom really likes her 230. My brother rode a honda xr80 for about two months, then he got to fast for it and had to get a kx65. He was like 9 at the time. I don't think I really know any bikes thaqt may work for your kiddos. I know I had a tt-r 125l for a short period of time. It's a good bike to start riding on.

#103589 - 06/25/04 12:41 AM Re: New Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike,
Thanks for the info. Nice to see someone on here from our neck of the woods. When and where do you usually ride? Maybe we will cross paths sometime.
Rob

#103590 - 06/30/04 01:58 AM Re: New Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the info. I was looking for stuff about the same bike and I could only find that panterra is somehow associated with nikota tool company. where did you find the info about the bike (it is a honda clone)? I would really like to check it out. Thanks!
Jim

#103591 - 07/06/04 08:39 PM Re: New Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

They seel the "Panterra" mini-bikes at Pep Boys stores here in the SouthWest. They sell a 49cc, a 90cc, and a 125 cc.

The 49cc bike sells for $499; the 90 sells for $699 and the 125 goes for $999. They don't really have the whole quality control of Honda, but mechanically, they are identical.

I have seen the same bikes sold under the "Panda" name plate, as well as several with Chinese names that I don't remember.

MIke C

#103592 - 07/06/04 08:42 PM Re: New Guy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rob:

My daughter usually just rides in the desert behind our house. There is a place up in Alamogordo, NM on the street that heads toward La Luz NM. We pass it on the way to my mother-in-law's house. The local kids all ride their dirt bikes there. You can't miss it; there is a huge set of trails over a bunch of eroded dirt.

Stay in touch.

Mike c

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Texas Offroad Network
Sponsors & Partners

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

KTM OF NORTH TEXAS / SLM RACING - 2260 W. Pioneer Parkway - Arlington, TX 76013 - 817-275-2228

TJ's Cycle - 6208 North Lamar - Austin, TX 78752 - 512.453.6255

Cycle Parts Warehouse - www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

TSCEC Website

Texas 4-H Youth ATV Safety Program

The RiderDown Foundation - Helping Riders Up

Texas Offroad Network
Affiliate Programs
American Trails
Locations of visitors to this page
Outdoor Hub